Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im owning an old 327 engine and i want to make it running 12s.13s on 1'4 mile
its a 327 69 camaro.
my idea is rebuilt it for sreet use.what combination do you reccomend....including transmission etc...
thanks

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
you can get to the times you want with the 327, but if you are planning to completely rebuild, you may want to look into either building a larger displacement engine. You could also consider buying an already built engine from one of these shops...
www.amerspeed.com www.allchevyengines.com www.sallee-chevrolet.com

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
As simple as just bolting on a set of 2.02"/1.60" valve double-hump heads and installing a Crane "Little Fireball" or CC 268HE cam, 1.625" four tube, long headers and an old Holley 1850, 600cfm or 3310-2, 750 carb. that is tuned to your engine! Also, the old -097 Duntov solid cam is a dandy here, too!! (I just had ta get it in this thread!!!)...

You can probably use a Weiand 8004 and a stock Q-Jet as long as it's tuned right for the cubes!

Clean the old double-hump heads up with some bowl work and casting flash removal and you are good to go! Just shoot for about a 9.75 to 1 CR. with the heads, deck height and shim headgaskets with the stock four valve notch flat-top pistons and again everything should be fine!

Now remember that the old double-hump heads won't last all that long on unleaded gas, but should do very well for you so that you can save your nickels and dimes for a set of modern heads that flow better.

As for your other post, the RPM cam is too big for a 327 but the heads should be fine if you want to spend the money.

I personally would opt for a set of W/P's 67cc S/R large valve heads unless you really want to go hard-core and get bigger/better flowing heads!

The guy I bought my car back from said he had a 12.9 second, So. Cal. strip, time slip, using a small set of slicks, with just such a combination and I will say the little 327 with the mild cam did run VERY well! It did however have an old stock cast-iron 300hp/327 AFB manifold and adapter for the 1850!! pdq67

1 - 3 of 3 Posts