Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took by '69 down to the muffler shop last week to have new collectors welded for a new set of headers I installed. Was shootin' the sh*t with the owner and asked him what he thought about H and X pipes and if it builds power. I asked the dumb question of "Is it something you can feel in the seat of your pants?". His reply was perfect: "Dunno, guys ask me that all the time & I ask them if they have a dyno strapped to their ***."

Kind of put it in perspective. Certain engine mods may only net a few small horsepower, but sometimes the "improvements we feel" might just be our mind taking over and justifying the money spent. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making more power, but I know my mind will likely make me "feel" the power rather than the disappointment of not "feeling" it (especially after dropping coin on the car).

If your hobby budget is limited like mine, then I'm sure the most bang for your buck is important. But, that's what it is all about isn't it? Choosing wisely and hoping for the best.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
True. But enough incremental improvements and my butt-o-meter will know!

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hey if it makes ya feel good, and ya got the xtra money do it ...I will be going for exaust soon and if he can do me an x pipe for very little more, cool but xtra C note forget it ...if you are NHRA class racing and every hundred or tenth under the index sure the xtra money counts for more competitiveness in the respective class you got to do it or why race...Happy Motoring

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The X and H pipes have been shown to offer small increases in hp and torque as well as reduce noise slightly. But I prefer true duals in case you need to do some troubleshooting you can see/smell/feel one side vs the other to help find the offending cylinder.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Sometimes there is a difference, but many times there isn't. Ever notice that your car seems to run better after you wash it?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I helped a friend out the other day. Her old camaro sprung a leak in the heater core. Although I didn't volunteer to change the core, I shunted the hoses together and cleaned up some of the mess. Afterward she told me it ran better. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts