Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1969 Camaro about 2 weeks ago. It has a 350 in it. Anyway, the stupid part is this, the previous owner took the negative batter cable and grounded it to the intake manifold. Pretty slick, huh? LOL!

I'm changing it this weekend?

By the way, where is the preferred location to ground the battery cable? I believe it's the motor mount, isn't it?

------------------
1969 Camaro - 350...and that's about it for now.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have seen different locations used ... engine block ... alternator bracket, and do on ... You main objective is a good clean connection... If you plan to detail your engine compartment, route the cable based on appearance ... just as long as you use the proper size cable ...

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
The stock location was on the alternator bracket. I didn't care for that because it stuck out on the top of the motor. I used the lower right hand bolt on the front of the engine where it's tucked out of sight. Just make sure you have a vwery clean connection. I sanded the paint off where the cable was going to ensure a good ground.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys!

What's standard cable, 4 gauge?

Oh, one more thing that's kind of dumb. The guy used RED cable for the negative side. Not that black would perform any better, but it's just the point of it all.

------------------
1969 Camaro - 350...and that's about it for now.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The correct location is at the stud that extends from the passenger side of the thermostat housing and comes up through the rear of the alternator bracket; the cable routes from there up the bracket, through a clip at the outboard side of the bracket, and from there over to the negative battery terminal. If you look closely at the photo at the link below, you can see it there.
http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/johnz/ZengR2.JPG

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The correct location is at the stud that extends from the passenger side of the thermostat housing and comes up through the rear of the alternator bracket; the cable routes from there up the bracket, through a clip at the outboard side of the bracket, and from there over to the negative battery terminal. If you look closely at the photo at the link below, you can see it there.
http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/johnz/ZengR2.JPG

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's where mine is grounded. works fine. What's wrong with that?

Dave

[This message has been edited by Scooby Doo (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why does that seem so strange? I guess I've been looking at too many modified engines. Like mine will be after this weekend, they usually run aluminum intakes. I imagine that an aluminum intake would not be a great place to ground a battery.

·
Retired
26,663 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rabid K-9:
Why does that seem so strange? I guess I've been looking at too many modified engines. Like mine will be after this weekend, they usually run aluminum intakes. I imagine that an aluminum intake would not be a great place to ground a battery.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For years houses were wired with alum wire instead of copper. My house was built in the 60's and and has alum wiring... Look at the pic John provided. It's an alum intake there....

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
551 Posts
You also want to have a secondary ground, coming directly off your primary, that goes to the fender bolt, I think the second one back.

Rick.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed and made my batter cable look pretty this weekend while doing an intake/carb swap. I wrapped the previously red cable in black electrical tape and routed the cable with my heater & A/C hoses and then re-attached it to the "gooseneck" on the intake. Looks much better now.

Sorry for looking like an ***.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts