Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This question is about the foam seal on the fuse block / bulkhead that seals it the firewall and also seals it to the two wiring harnesses that connect to it on the engine side. My seal is still intact but it doesn't look like it has much compression left in it.

Can you buy a replacement seal anywhere? I looked in the usual catalogs but didn't see it. If a replacement seal is not available, I guessing you can just apply some sealant. I wondering what other people have done and used if their original seal was bad.

Thanks....Dave

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
My first thought would be to get a computer mouse pad and make one.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am sure the dielectric grease would have worked but just wasn't crazy about using grease there.

I looked at Fel-pro gasket material at the local auto parts store and what they had would not have worked.

I contacted American Auto Wire and they would not sell a gasket outright.

I did not see the gasket on Lectric Limited's website.

So what I did was go to a local electronics surplus house where that have all kinds of oddball stuff. I found some 3/16 inch thick foam sheets there for $1.50 for a 12 inch by 12 inch sheet. The first thing I did was to make sure that it would not let water penetrate it. It passed that test. I made a template and used it to cut a new seal from the foam sheet. It fit really well and I think it is going to work fine.

The old gasket was held on by some sort of reddish brown rubber glue. Getting that off was no picnic!

I have a couple more questions about the fuse block but I am going to start a new thread instead of burying them at the end of this one.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
I just used dielectric grease. Same as I use for bulbs and just about any other electrical connection.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Dielectric grease would be fine to seal the cavities but I don't think for use as a weather seal over a large area. Dave's foam looks like it's the ticket!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Yes, good job Dave :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts