Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any problem with using a fuse vs. a fusible link on the wire that transports power from batterty to rest of car? If not, what size fuse would be equivalent/appropriate for this application?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
How many amps does the circuit draw? What is the amp rating of the wires you are trying to protect?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Technically putting a fuse in place of a fusable link would be safe. However, fusable links are much more forgiving than a fuse. Why do you want to do this? Fusable links are cheap and work well for high current power sources.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is a fusable link at one end of the wire or in the middle on the main power wire to the car?
I hope you don't mind me jumping on board the thread too.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The fusible link is typically at the highest potential in the wire, which would be the end of the wire closest to the power source.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
They also have them at NAPA parts stores. I've had to stick fuses instead of links at least a few times to get junk running. Like dnult said though, the link is sloblow. I think they look better than a fuseholder too.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Make sure to put those fusable links in a place where they can melt down without starting a fire. Never bundle them together or tape them up with other wires. Let them hang free. As others have said, near the power source is where they belong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts