Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
::This is just an informational post for those that may search for it in the future::

A few odd measurements of an 8.2" and an 8.5" rearend for comparative purposes -

1. Yoke width at U-joint saddles(outside): 8.2= 3 9/16" ..... 8.5= 3 9/16"

2. Cover mounting surface to end of yoke:(yoke end is center of U-joint cap): 8.2= 13 1/4" ..... 8.5= 14 3/4"

3. Pinion Nut: 8.2= 1 1/8" ..... 8.5= 1 1/4"

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Thanks,

I did the 8.2 to 8.5 swap, and at 1.5" difference in yoke sizes, I just don't see how some don't have to shortend their driveshaft. :confused:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I swapped out the old 8.2" 10 bolt for one out of a firebird...All was going well until I realized that the u-joints are different...Now I'm sportin' a "universal-u-joint" LOL... ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
MarkM,

When I replaced my 8.2 rear with an 8.5 posi from a 72 Nova donor car, I indeed did have to shorten my driveshaft by 1". I know a lot of the literature I read prior to the swap made no mention of this. I was concerned that I had done something wrong until I made careful repeat measurements on the old vs. the new one and found the yoke difference.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
yeah, mine was one of the "didn't have to shorten" ones, at the time i didn't know of the difference, but when i put it all back together i noticed it was a bit more of a snug fit with the driveline. but it actually is just about perfect now. it does make you go hmmmm though doesn't it :confused: .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts