Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't, under any circumstances, buy a fuse kit from Harbor Freight!
EVER!

I bought one of those multi-pack kits with like 10 fuses of every amperage. I thought it would be good to throw in the toolbox in the car should a fuse blow while I'm on the road. I replaced some of my old-school style U.S.A made fuses a few weeks ago in preparation of firing it up.

Well, I'm not proud of this, but I just spent an hour trying to figure out why I suddenly lost my courtesy lights. The fuse "LOOKED" good visually, and I checked to make sure there was 12V on the hot side. What I didn't do was check to see if it was on the OTHER side of the fuse. But the fuse "LOOKED" good.
So I yanked the fuse and checked continuity......
Dead. The filament had come unsoldered from the end cap inside.

But it "LOOKED" good.

:rolleyes:
What a moron.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Hey, they've only got so much lead to go around in China. The line that makes baby food probably ran out so they had to pull some from the fuse line.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've seen glass style fuses with the same problem too coming apart under the end caps.

I've also heard too that a while back the ATC style fuses from HF were inferior. They were marked at a certain amperage but they were not blowing with even twice the current going through them. I think they had a recall but who knows how many may still be out there in use.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts