Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've added B-Quiet Brown Bread with VComp on top to the floors. With the new carpet installed and jute backing already attached I'm not getting the throttle fully opened. I assume I adjust that at the linkage barrel nut at the carb.

My question is, how do I get a slightly higher gas pedal? I only see the one adjustment.

Rick.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I put extra insulation on my floor, before installing the carpet, and the gas pedal hit the transmission tunnel at about half throttle. I took the linkage loose, and bent the pedal rod so that the angle of the pedal is the same, but the hole pedal is about 1/2" further away from the tunnel.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CFunk,

I've got the barrel nut all the way to the end. I'm still missing the last 10% on the throttle.(It also doesn't fix the pedal position.) You want frustration? Before I adjusted it I was only getting 55-60% throttle. I wanted to get out and push the car. :D

Unreal,

I screwed up my back a bit from being under the dash board for so long. I was hoping to get some quick and easy ideas. (hence the posting) I went under the dash last night and I've got two ideas now. Yours, which would position the pedal to a proper tunnel clearance and bring it up slightly. What I came up with was to mount the assembley on a 1/2 inch spacer.

Frankly, your idea is the way to go.

Can I borrow your torch?

Rick

By the way, what the heck is a "GAD" pedal?

[ 09-25-2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Scoop69RS-SS ]

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
You might try twisting the accelerator pedal rod so that the flat on the "L" causes the pedal to be a little farther off the floor at idle. That will cause the throttle arm to be further away from the firewall at idle, giving you more adjustment room.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
You can also make a longer rod out of 1/4" round rod and rethread the end. I installed a lokar cable kit on mine and changed the pedal assembly from a 75 nova. I like the cable better than the rod because my throttle stuck once doing a burnout in the driveway and I ran over my toolboxes and knocked down a brick wall. I wont tell you what damage it did to my car, but it was not pretty.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why does it seem that a lot of people use that phrase, "my throttle stuck". :confused:

Recently, one of our T/C guys had his stick and he did body damage, (he was alright, the car wasn't.)

I've had the throttle stick for a moment while banging through the gears. At first I thought I tossed in the clutch too soon and over reved it. I became very aware of my preceived mistake and would never embarrass myself again, nor damage the engine. It happened again and then I realized it wasn't me. I went looking for the problem.

I found that the vacuum line to the brake booster might rub against the throttle linkage. I very much doubt this was it but; Fixed. I think it was my cheapness that may have caused the problem. I have a new gas pedal, chrome trim and gas pedal spring that wasn't going in until the carpets were installed. As it was then, the pedal was half off the pin, kicked over a bit and may have been catching the side of the V-Comp material on the tunnel. I believe this was the problem.

Now that I was properly freaked out at my apparent disregard on saftey, I started looking around some more. I found a nice chrome throttle bracket at the crappy auto parts store and attached a double safety spring on to the carb for an extra measure of safety.

I'll pull the gas pedal rod and go bother one of my pals with a torch. Or can it be bent in a vice?

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.

Rick.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I have a victor junior intake with a 1" spacer on my motor. I put a 1" offset in the accelerator rod for better alignment but the rod was at a upward angle. When you floored the gas pedal the motor would rotate and the linkage would bind. That is why I went with the cable. Now no more binding ( gas pedal stuck ).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts