Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
had mine done last fall. It was around $150 if I remember right.... approx. 1/2 for the springs and 1/2 for labor. I've since seen the springs for sale at some of the local hardware/industrial type of shops. The average price of the springs looked to be in the $30-$40 each range, so I think my price paid was 'bout right.

$300 seems steep.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I paid 75.00, which inlcuded labor. Of course, my opener died due to lifting the garage door without the aide of the spring. Still isn't fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Why can't you go over to Home depot, and buy them?
Just do them yourself - they are very easy to replace.
I think they were something like $60 for a pair.
They come in different weight loads.

No tension on them when the door is up.
Make sure you run the security cables throught the middle of them.

I had one break years ago - scratched my car when it came down. :(

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I had mine done 2 months ago, both springs, with 5 year guarantee. Did it on a sunday. He also replaced the center bearing. Cost 300 clams.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
If you can work on a Camaro you can certainly replace the springs. Take an old spring to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a replacement pair with the same rating. Then with the door all the way up simple replace them and hook the cables back into place. Make sure the cables are running on the pulleys. It really isn't hard.

·
3,669 Posts
Hank,
Sounds about right price wise. You can buy the springs and do it yourself, but it can be dangerous if you are not careful. I have replace the ones on both of my garages and with the right tools it's not too bad. You will need two 1/2" rods about 2 ft long to release the tension on the one good spring and then wind both of them back up. If you dont feel real comfortable with it, have the pros do it.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
BillK-

I believe you are addressing the torsion springs directly above the door and I think he has the long coil springs which stretch the length of the railing. I know that the long coil springs aren't hard to replace. I don't have any experience with the torsion spring design and you are correct to suggest caution.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Just a suggestion here, I would do away with the springs and call somebody in that does this kind of work and put in torsion bars.

If you use your garage door a lot, the springs will come back and get you for more repair a few years down the road.

But I would let a professional do the torsion springs, a lot of us can do them, but its not worth it, to dangerous.

Since I went to torsion spring on my garages, no more problems, snow or ice or opener or anything.

Rob

·
Registered
68 Base Camaro 355 Offy crossram Richmond Super Street close ratio 5 spd ivy gold 92K SoCal car
3,046 Posts
Hank,

Let the pros handle the torsional springs. If it is the other style that uses cable and mount above the tracks you can do these yourself, but please consider installing a set of safety cables in addition to the springs. They will contain a spring if it fails and they don't cost much. It's just a cable that runs through the center of the spring and attaches to the track or track support at each end. The cables are under load when the door is closed.

I had one break and the spring glanced off the roof of one of my 68 camaros and hit the back wall of the garage. I also know an individual here a couple streets over who took a direct hit to the side of his head and face when one let go in his garage. He required several surgeries and was off work over a year. He's lucky to be alive.

When I built my new garage I installed safety cables on all the garage doors, 16 and 9 foot doors. Easy to install and great piece of mind. I couldn't work in the old garage with the doors down after the spring broke until I'd added the cables to that garage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just replaced one of mine today $10 at depot 15 minutes to do it, if you have the long style. Do one side at a time use the other side as a reference. You can't do it with the door closed, open the door, prop it open with a 2x4 and the springs are hanging it the wind no presure on the at all.. Easy

You determine the correct spring by the color of the paint on the end of the spring. green, red, blue, white

·
Registered
730 Posts
A 16' wood door would definately have a torsion spring. I replaced mine with a spring from a used garage door but could never get it to balance correctly. It's not to hard to adjust, you need a couple of two foot by 3/8 inch rod bars to apply the torsion. Be careful and wear eye protection, but I'll doubt you'll be able to buy the springs yourself. I

If you're going to spend $300 on springs, IMHO, I'd recommend getting a brand new door installed.

JD

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I had my roll-up garage door torsion spring replaced about 7 years ago for around $300.00. That is the going rate it seems, since I did get a few estimates. I left it up to the pros to do mine, because you need special tools for the job and also it can be dangerous as many said.

I would think that to replace the springs on a conventional wooden garage door would be a lot less than a roll-up door. You could do it yourself for a lot less. Just go to your local hardware store and pick up some springs. They are not that hard to replace. Get a few more estimates....or do it yourself for less.

·
Registered
540 Posts
mine were the dual torsion springs, like I said before.... $150 or so last fall in my area. I've seen my Dad replace those type before, but I wasn't comfortable doing it myself (at least not right now)..... I "heard" the one in my garage break from at least 100 foot away. (lots of pressure on them)

$300 still seems waaayyyy high in my 'neck of the woods...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a 16' Wood Door with Windows and Had a new Opener installed last year and a weak after one of the springs broke the company came back and istalled the two coil springs that go over the long rod. I watched the guy do it and I would not attempt to do it Myself it looked to dangerous to Me. He charged Me $160. The door is 43 years old and I guess I will have to have replaced sooner or later also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.