Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, wonders never cease!

While digging around the shop this morning for an old Performer dual-plane intake I have that I'm putting on this 350, I pulled another one out of the cabinet with it that I knew I had, but I'd never even looked at. It was in the trunk of the Camaro when I bought it.

14014432 GM dual-plane intake:

Codes on #2 runner:

Location of choke riser:

It codes to an '81 Z28 350 aluminum intake! Can anyone tell me the signifigance of the string of charactors on the #2 runner: 3 / 19 / 80 / 2. It looks like a date to me which would be correct.

I know this intake was used with a Q-jet but why is the choke riser set back on top of the #6 runner instead of in between 4 and 6? The Q-jet I have has the choke deal in the middle of the intake so it won't transfer over to this one properly. Which Q-jet was used on an '81 Z28 and how was it set up? I want to retain the choke setup if I can.

Can I use this intake instead of the Performer dual-plane, or is it a wash as far as performance goes? I'll swap the Q-jet for a carb that works with it if I need to. Just wondering about this particular intakes specs.
Thanks!

[ 02-08-2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: HwyStarJoe ]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I figure it is just a standard aluminum Q-Jet intake of the period.

Pick up a cheap used pre-Performer 2101, a Performer or I would go with a new Holley 300-36 before I would get a new E-brock RPM. But jmho...

pdq67

·
Registered
320 Posts
That thing you are referring to as the "Choke Rise" is the EGR valve port. '81 Q-jets had electric chokes. That msnifold is nothing special... Just your Generic 80-87 Q-jet used on every 305 and 350 that ran one of these carbs.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Nothing special but if you are going to run a Qjet and stock intake is weighs less than the cast iron ones.Try Epay it might bring big bucks just list it as rare Z28 never made COPO etc.

[ 02-08-2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: 67 Plum ]

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You read my mind. ;)
Evil, aren't we?

I haven't been inside an engine in quite a while as you can tell. Comparing it to the cast iron clunker I just took off this truck engine, they look identical inside and out, except for the EGR port on the aluminum one.
Oh well....

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
You have to remember here that the stock, Q-Jet intake is just about the best there is up to about 3,800 or so rpm's AND it will still go above 5,500 rpm's but not the best!!

And it will be a nice FREE light-weight intake too...

pdq67

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paul, if I didn't already have a Performer 2101, I'd definitely use it.

What's the consensus on keeping the choke deal with the q-jet? The 2101 has the block-off that I can re-attach the choke spring thing to. I've always left them off in the past, but wondered if I should keep it on the carb. The car will be a daily driver of that makes a difference.

[ 02-08-2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: HwyStarJoe ]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I wired mine wide open and just pumped her about three or four times in the winter and she always fired right off.

It's up to you.

pdq67

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used a later model stock intake like the one you found. I glass beaded it, port matched it to my intake gaskets, bought an egr block off plate and ran it on a mild 350 with a stock Q-jet. I ran it for about a year, then changed to an Eldelbrock performer. The stock manifold actually ran noticeably better. I was suprised. My engine combo was; 350 c.i. flat top cast pistons with 4 valve reliefs, stock rods, 214/224 hydraulic cam, pocket ported 882 heads with swirl polished valves, 78 cc combustion chambers, about 8.8 comp. ratio, and 165 psi cranking pressure. I couldn't make that motor ping on the cheapest gas I put in it. My shift points were 5200 rpm with a turbo 350.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I used the 2101 on my 68 with the stock divorced (thermostatic) choke Q-Jet, and it worked fine. If you're planning on starting it up there in the cold, you'll want the choke.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
you might be able to sell that intake to a circle track racer that has to use a "stock" intake manifold.
other than that, all they are good for is warping and cracking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts