Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
hey i asked same questions as i just did my 40x50 garage last fall, my crete guy said the best is jusy to seal it once every year or two, he sealed it for me using a garden type pressure sprayer and it looks great and it very smooth, watch out when its wet, anyway i am going to do that method, i think, goodluck i will watch this post
Jake

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
In my new house I had them epoxy both garages. Wow, I drop everything (oil, coolant, trans fluid, power steering fluid, grease, paint, it wipes right up!! Would never go back to a bare concrete floor again.

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
Drop down to Bench section and do a search there. There have been some very good postings with discussions of many options that folks have used.
Congrats on a nice BIG garage too.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I painted my garage floor with Drylock concrete paint. It says that hot tires will not pick up the paint, but it does. Oil etc cleans up easy, but the tires remove the paint. If your going to use a concrete paint, I would suggest putting some kind of clear coat sealer on it so the tires won't pick up the paint. I didn't want to put the clear coat over the paint because it would make the floor slick when wet. Once the tires starting pulling up the paint, I wished I sealed it the first time.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Funny......my wife came home from Lowe's last week with over $100.00 of concrete floor epoxy. She wanted to do ours in grey. I read the directions and it said the floor had to be stripped of any sealer previously applied. I know when we built the house I applied a sealer with a garden sprayer after the concrete man finished using his big "whirly bird spinning machine" to make it super smooth. It said the floor would have to be washed with muratic ?? acid. Also, our floor will sweat for a short time each spring. I also was afraid of this stuff chipping off if I were to use a steel wheeled creeper or jack stands under a car. The other reason I didn't want to put it on was it said it had to have a week to cure and I did not want to park my cars outside for a week. Needless to say it all went back to Lowe's for a prompt refund. Oh, the wife is still a bit upset because she wanted it painted.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Don't worry about it 'chipping' from a jack stand or wheels on a hydralic jack, I do both of these all the time on my grey epoxy'd floor and it does not chip. It was professionally installed by the builder. I do have tire pickup issues though, and as soon as I can get everything out of the garage and into storage bins they are going to come out and grind all the stuff up and redo it again.
Basically PREPARATION PREPARATION PREPARATION is the key!! they did not prep my garage right (they rush it after close of escrow because they 'forgot' to install it). Muratic acid that floor a bunch of times, rent a power washer and rinse that floor another 3-4 times before even thinking about putting something down on it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree, preparation is the key. A friend of mine does concrete texture/ staining for a living. We did my shop in 18" black and white checkerboard. All oil must be completely removed. Then pressure wash the floor thoroughly, etch with muratic acid in a garden sprayer, pressure wash thoroughly again, put down baking soda, (this will neutralize the acid) without it the acid will stay active in the pores of the concrete and may lift the stain/ epoxy years later, then pressure wash one last time. Brent

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've covered my floor with oil, brake fluid, auto trans fluid,antifreeze, paint, bondo, etc. Kind of has that marble look to it. Oh heck, not even a mouse would live in the garage so I guess it's ok.

- just my dry humor kicking in, but it is really a grungy floor, but I'm not worrying about spilling anything on it - it will just add to the patena.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I had Home Pro Floor Coatings do mine (www.homeprofloors.com) three years ago; steel shot-blasted first to open the pores in the concrete "skin", then two coats, 24 hours apart, of 2-part industrial epoxy resin. Absolutely indestructible, hot tires won't mark or lift it, and no automotive fluids (including brake fluid) even faze it, super-easy to keep clean.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info. I've seen ads for the ucoatit, but there are alot of options. I definately will coat it when the roof is done!

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
He also needs some appropriate calendars on the walls to cover all that bare space. :D
Nice cave there JZ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts