Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Camaro recently restored - When the tank is full, the original gas gauge reads well past full and is empty just below 1/4 tank (don't ask how I know). Is there a way to calibrate the needle so I can get it to read full and empty correctly. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Or you can drop the gas tank, and bend the float holder a little bit upwards. It got to be touching the bottom of the tank, and showing a 1/4 tank indication, when it's already empty. While doing this, it's good to have an ohm meter, to make sure the float is readind empty after a test. Values are 0-90 ohms, but don't remember which one is empty right now.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I second using a substitute resistance at the sender end. It will give you a good idea if you have an electrical problem, gauge problem, or a sender problem. For example, grounding the sender lead should make your gauge read E (or below). If the gauge needle was sticking, this test would reveal it.

Also, it might be a good idea to rig up a test lead so you can measure the senders resistance when it's full / empty to see if it's in the ballpark. If you decide to drop the tank and twiddle the sender instead, just beware that the range of motion is a bit different in the tank than out. Unfortunately fuel gauges aren't precision instruments, but it sounds like yours is way off in a bad way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts