Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas gauge on the center console of my '67 recently stopped working. Only reads empty, even when the tank is full. What should I check first for troubleshooting? Is was working fine, then just stopped working.

Steve

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
Steve, good chance its a ground along the way that finally disconnected or rusted out of contact. You can ground brown wire that goes to your sender at the tank and see if that pegs the needle full, then you know the guage works.
Then also check the grounds at the tank and the console ground. Also try a search in here, there have been many little things that cause guages to act up, you might find one similar to your issue.
Im no elec. genious by any sorts but of all the reading Ive done in here on elec. problems most of them have eneded up being ground related.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. Looks like I've got a loose ground at the tank. Someone just wrapped the brown ground wire around the tank strap screw fastener. Ugh. Where is this ground wire supposed to be secured?

Steve

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
If 67 is same as my 69, there is s screw into the frame (pan) adjacent to the tank strap bracket. The screw uses one of those raised edge star washers and you might sand down the spot around the screw hole to get a good ground there. The wire should have one of those round brass fittings on the end of it, the screw goes thru it and the star washer helps make the tight ground there. Sounds like thats it, wrapping around a painted surface isnt much of a ground. Keep us informed.
If you have to improvise for a few days, just clean that area up and wrap the wire around the screw right before you screw it in tight and use a washer over the wire as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts