Any one know why my gas gauge reads 3/4
when I know it's a full tank ?
Do I need a new sending unit or is it a
bad ground?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I would guess sending unit....

A bad ground usually shows up as pegged above full....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry(updated 7/1/00)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had some strsnge problems with my guage/tank in my 67. It was reading erratically and sometimes showing very different amounts within minutes. I dropped the tank down a little (wait til your closer to empty or it will be quite heavy)by undoing the two metal straps and inspecting the top of the tank where the sending unit is accessed. I did not see anything in particular but decided while I was at it, I would put some high density foam padding between the tank and the body to reduce noise. I don't know if wires moved or the little extra 1/2' of space cured it but the gauge works great now.

PS Make sure the rubber tube connecting the tank to the filling tube gets back on properly. I had not checked the back side of this hose to be sure it seated properly and found "liquid gold" hitting the ground at the gas station next fill up. Double dumbass on me!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
That would be half inch space between the tank, not half foot--oops.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by backfire:
I had some strsnge problems with my guage/tank in my 67. It was reading erratically and sometimes showing very different amounts within minutes. I dropped the tank down a little (wait til your closer to empty or it will be quite heavy)by undoing the two metal straps and inspecting the top of the tank where the sending unit is accessed. I did not see anything in particular but decided while I was at it, I would put some high density foam padding between the tank and the body to reduce noise. I don't know if wires moved or the little extra 1/2" of space cured it but the gauge works great now.

PS Make sure the rubber tube connecting the tank to the filling tube gets back on properly. I had not checked the back side of this hose to be sure it seated properly and found "liquid gold" hitting the ground at the gas station next fill up. Double dumbass on me!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by backfire (edited 07-13-2000).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts