Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANYONE KNOW A WAY TO TEST IF GAS GUAGE IS BAD ON 68 RAGTOP? I INSTALLED A NEW SENDING UNIT BUT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK. CAN I READ VOLTAGE ANYWHERE FRONT OR BACK TO TELL. SOME ONE SAID IT MAY NOT BE GROUNDED. DOES THE SENDING UNIT HAVE TO BE GROUNDED SEPARATELY?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am in the process of troubleshooting my 68 gauge. Do a search in the electrical section on this board. You will turn up several useful posts.

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just repaired the gauge on my 69 they really can be a pain.I asked the site for some help and over and over i was told to sheck the ground.Be sure that the plug in at the rear of the car is in correctly with the wires matching the same color and you have a ground in front of the gas tank on the passenger side of the car clean under the grund on the body.You also have a ground under your dash at the left side and make sure its tight and grounded also_One think I did learn with all of this is that if your gauge is reading over full you are not grounded and if the gauge is reading under empty you have no juice, or vice versa?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
With your ignition on, tap your sending unit wire on a good ground.Have someone watch the gauge,if it moves,chances are,you have a working gauge. You will have to recheck your sender instillation. Both of my 68's fuel gauges quit,I believe they showed empty. The problem was a bad connection, where the sender wire,inside the tank, attached to the top of the sending unit.(does that make sense?)When you tap the sender wire to ground,don't hold it to ground,just tap it. If you hold it to a ground for a while(minute or so) it could burn out the gauge.At least that's what I read along time ago,it's never happened to me.

------------------
68 z28 68 rs 327 73 454 vette

1 - 5 of 5 Posts