Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I screwed up..

I put the wrong metering gasket on my holley 650 dp and got a ton of gas in my oil.
I fixed the gasket problem. Now when I start it it burns oil (blue smoke).
I haven't driven it like this. My guess is that the oil is too thin (because of the gas?), and I'm getting oil past the rings. Will changing the oil cure this? or is there something else I need to do.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have heard it reffered to as "ring wash.

This happened to me a while back when the float stuck and I tried to keep it running and get home. Had a ton of gas in my oil by the time I made it home after only a block or so. Mine did the same after changing the oil twice but cleared up pretty quick.

I bought the cheapest oil I could find to flush the system and re filled it with good oil.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
if you have a mechanical pump maybe the pump diaphram broke which would cause gas/oil mix aswell.
but i think a good flush with clean oil then another oil change and filter would help your problem.
worse case senerio is that the rings are gone and youll then have to re ring the pistons and hone the bores.
on a good note is that you wont have any sludge buidup anymore with the diluted oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope that changing the oil will fix the problem. The car didn't idle very long with the wrong metering gasket on my Holley, so hopefully I didn't do any permanent damage.

It would suck-butt if I had to pull the engine because of a carb-gasket oversight. Guess I'll find out this weekend.

thanks for the help.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
There is a million of those little things that can cause an engine pull. Could fill a complete thread.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If you didn't run it long I doubt you did damage. I have heard a lot of stories about pilots diluting the engine oil with fuel to get the plane started. The fuel will evaporate out pretty quickly once it gets heated. An oil change and you should be good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts