Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Has anyone had issues filling up their gas tank? The gas tank is new. I can only put in about 2 gallons of gas before it starts shooting back out at me.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hello!

Has anyone had issues filling up their gas tank? The gas tank is new. I can only put in about 2 gallons of gas before it starts shooting back out at me.
How is the new tank vented?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sorry I don’t think they vented the tanks until 1970. Sounds like an issue with the new tank. What brand did you use?

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
I always pull the vapor recover thing back and have to get it just right so air can escape as I fill, and my Tanks Inc. tank is vented.

But more and more I fill my car at home out of a couple of fuel jugs, I only drive maybe 1000 mile a year, if that so not much of a hassle for me.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
IDK is OP lives where they have vapor recovery pump nozzles like here in CA. Those are a PIA but if you put nozzle on slowest setting and hold firmly against fill opening it is spill free until the end shut off unless you shut off nozzle yourself.

Just fill slowly

·
Registered
Wylie, TX - Lee
245 Posts
I use a 1" diameter ~2 foot length of clear vinyl tube that I keep in the trunk. When I need to fill up, I shove the tube down the tank's filler tube into the tank then fill up. I don't use the automatic latch and I usually stop when I get to around 13 or 14 gallons as that's about all the tank can hold after the low fuel warning light comes on. The tube prevents gas from splashing back causing the pump to kick off and if I do over fill, the fuel dumps on the ground and not the back bumper. I got the idea from someone else on one of these forums and it's works great for me.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a 1" diameter ~2 foot length of clear vinyl tube that I keep in the trunk. When I need to fill up, I shove the tube down the tank's filler tube into the tank then fill up. I don't use the automatic latch and I usually stop when I get to around 13 or 14 gallons as that's about all the tank can hold after the low fuel warning light comes on. The tube prevents gas from splashing back causing the pump to kick off and if I do over fill, the fuel dumps on the ground and not the back bumper. I got the idea from someone else on one of these forums and it's works great for me.
This sounds like a great idea I will give this a try. Of course, my gas gauge isn't working either lol I'm upgrading my gauges to the Intellitronix LED Digital Dash. So I figured id take that issue when replacing them. Of course there delayed though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts