Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what you guys pay outside of AZ, but here we are getting raped(2.00/gallon)!! Gas prices must be high because of the shortage of oil, or because there was a war....blah, blah, blah!!

The oil companies just need to boost their profits!! In a way I'm glad that I could add to their bottom line..... :rolleyes:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/030501/energy_exxon_earns_4.html

Maybe now that they made some money, they'll back off a bit and allow the common man(like me!) to be able to afford basic necessities like groceries again..... :mad:

Sorry....just had to rant!

·
Registered
63 Posts
if anyone has a bitch with gas prices it has to be us in so cal. at some stations premium was over $2.35 a gallon. and we have the refinery right here in our backyard. funny how we have the gas that is trucked to arizona or thru pipeline and you pay less than us. they say because in so cal we need the formulated gas that cost more. suppose to cut down on smog. from what i have seen phoenix is no longer the valley of the sun, but more like valley of the brown cloud.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
San Diego is at $1.95/Gal (regular).

The prices being higher right now have nothing to do with the War and there is NO shortage. California is the worlds 5th LARGEST economy......and everyone wants a peice.....including the rest of the United States. A big luke warm thanks to the rest of you.....

The reason being that it is so much on the left coast is that we dont get that much oil from the southern states and the Alaska shipments are coming from Exxon and Mobile. The two worst companies to deal with. These two keep driving the price up and everyone else follows suit, because they continue to sell gas at that higher price, so the littler guy jacks the price up too so that he can make some money on all of this as well.

The thing to do is, not to boycott the purchase of gas and petrol products combined, but to NOT purchase from either Exxon or Mobil. If their pockets feel it they will lower prices and the little guy will follow suit again.....this is where it can/will actually make a difference. BUT, to really make a difference it really needs to be done nation wide.

As for formulated gas, the funny thing is that all the gas from all gas stations in our/your city come from the same friggin tank. The additives are not introduced UNTIL it is pumped into the deliver truck. So the real bit*h is that we are paying for more for the additive, which by the way is used by more than the state of California alone.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Wow, I see regular here in town (Austin TX) about $1.26 at a few places. Premium is down to under $1.60 at most places already. Gas cost has been rapidly declining here, but we aren't using the "clean air" reformulated gasoline here...yet.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Massachusetts is:

151.9 for 87
161.9 for 89
and
170.9 for 91

Prices are at my local truck stop who seems to consistantly run 3 to 5 cents a gallon cheaper than the other name brand chains that are off the main roads. Add about 10 cents a gallon at stations right off the interstates. These Prices are about 16 or 17 cents less than the peak prices seen about 6 weeks ago.

The winter gas additives are just being worked out of the gas supply now, as my mileage has been steadily increasing over the past 2 weeks. Winter mileage in my S15 Jimmy is right around 18 mpg plus of minus 0.5 mpg. Yesterdays fillup was 20.5 mpg. One of these days the folk in Government and at the EPA will figure out if you put 10 percent non combustible additives into gas, you have to increase the mass of fuel consumed by 10 percent to get the same work out of a car engine. Oh wait a minute, that would require a brain.

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
87 is $1.90 - $2.15 depending on what community you drive through from San Jose to Sacramento. 91 in the $2.20 - $2.40 range... Funny how some areas it dropped as things calmed down in the gulf and others didn't.

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
FIlled up this morning for $1.40 minus 4 cents local Fleet store discount coupon, so 1.36 for 87 Oct.
nice to see it come down again.

·
3,176 Posts
still in the $1.89-$2.19 range across the board. But its been that way for the last 4 years. Guess they didnt want to increase it as much as they did in Calif since the state is sueing the Oil Companies for price fixing. Hawaii is even going to try to put a price cap on what can be charged.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If everyone wants to complain about the price of gas, TALK TO YOUR STATE LEGISLATURE! The Federal tax on gas is about $0.20/gallon. The wholesale price of gas is about the same throughtout the US on similiar grades of gasoline. Yes, that includes that special reformulated gas in California. It does cost more but not that much.

Where's the difference? The tax each individual State and sometimes a city, adds to each gallon.

In Tennessee the total tax charged on a gallon of gas including federal and state tax is about $0.40/gallon. $0.20 Federal and $0.20 State. Wholesale price of regular unleaded gas today is about $0.85/gallon. Add $0.40 total tax, delivery, profit and you get to the $1.37/gallon charged at most gas stations.

In Georgia, a gallon of gas is $0.08-$0.12/gallon cheaper than Tennessee. WHY? TAX! Their state tax rate on a gallon of gas is cheaper therefore cheaper gas!

The part everyone forgets in California is that half the price of a gallon of gas will be TAXES!

Before everyone starts complaining about the price of gas here on the board. Go complain to your STATE and LOCAL legislature. They are the ones that are screwing YOU!

Of course since most states NOW have a budget shortfall, good luck in getting them to listen.

In Tennessee, ALL THE TAX COLLECTED ON GAS, goes to the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT). Thats why we have FABULOUS roads. All the gas tax money CAN ONLY BE SPENT ON ROADS. None of this "lets put it in the general fund and pay for the deadbeats and lazy people" that so many legislatures love to support with YOUR MONEY! What a novel idea, collect tax on gas and reinvest in the roads and infrastructure.

Sincerly guys, don't complain about the oil companies or the ARABS, go bitch at your state representative. He is really the guy STEALING "YOUR" MONEY!

Mike

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Mike!

From what I can find, Arizona gasoline tax is .18. If you double that for city tax we are still paying over 1.60 and if the retail price of gasoline is only .80 or so.....I say we're getting gouged out here in AZ!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
We're back down to $1.63 - 1.73 per gallon for regular in the Seattle area. THe three companies that sell gas are allowed to set "zone pricing" based on how much the neighbors are charging. Somehow the outcome is that in the "rich folk" neighborhoods and in the city, gas is 10-25 cents more a gallon, but out on the fringes in "poor folk" country it's a little lower.
BUT our fine legislature wants to charge us another .05 to .08 a gallon, they can't decide how much!
:eek:

-Sam

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Originally posted by mjs-13:
If everyone wants to complain about the price of gas, TALK TO YOUR STATE LEGISLATURE! The Federal tax on gas is about $0.20/gallon. The wholesale price of gas is about the same throughtout the US on similiar grades of gasoline. Yes, that includes that special reformulated gas in California. It does cost more but not that much.

The part everyone forgets in California is that half the price of a gallon of gas will be TAXES!

Mike
Uh.....no. Mike I believe you are mistaken. In California is not a taxation issue. It is plain and simple price gouging. This is a known fact, they just dont know how they are going to build a case on and making it stick it without the oil companies wiggling out of it trough loopholes.

It's kind of funny how everyone outside of California is an expert on California and it's legislature.

And by the way, there is no tax rate in the union that pays $00.75-00.95 in a gasoline tax your theory is trying to support. And if the wholesale price for a gallon of gas is your stated $00.85, and that is susposed to be "half" of the cost of a gallon...then our prices would be about $1.70/gal. BUT in reality it is still $1.97/gal average. So you want us to believe that the extra $00.27 is some kind of hidden tax!?!! What is the name of this tax? None of us know......oh yeah, its the retirement fund tax......yeah thats right I forgot.

What are you a politician? It sure sounds like it.....sounds like the same old sh*t we've been listening too.....so unless you really know the facts, remember that you are entitled to you're opinion.......but that it is just that. An overstated, under informed opinion. So, I will just agree to disagree. ;)

Dont bitch about the oil companies!?!! Oh yeah, like we are not susposed to bitch about ENRON either...right!?!! Kind of funny how it was the companies outside of California gouging that one huh? Everyone else trying to make a profit off of a more lucrative economy.

Well I guess being the worlds 5th largest economy does come with its free loaders......and everyone wants a piece. Is'nt that just typical!?!! We pay more, because the oil companies KNOW that we are not just going to stop driving our vehicles because the cost is going up, they know that they can make money off of it.

You're theory may work in Tenn. but not out here where it's paying for you're shelter.

(MIKE- I'm not flaming/picking a fight with you specifically, but its the mentaility of the uninformed that lights fire's here and frankly we in California are more than sick of paying for everyone else- gasoline or other wise. Why do you really think that California has is monitary issues like it does? It is from the BS that the people on the outside are selling).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Chicane,

I was mistaken. The wholesale price of gas this morning is $0.80/gallon. You can see this information every morning on the financial news. Particularly on Bloomberg News on the USA Television Network. This is on from 6am to 7 am Central time.

Maybe the oil companies are gouging. I will look today to find out exactly what the tax on gasoline is in California and if cities such as San Diego can and do add a local option tax to gas. We can then see who is more informed or who is full of BS as you stated.

I'll post my findings later today.

Have a great day.

Mike

[ 05-02-2003, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: mjs-13 ]

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mike from Nashville is right, it boils down to taxes. SE Georgia this morning is $1.28 for regular and has been dropping.

The first gas station in Florida is 13 miles from my house and gas is about $1.70 @ gallon for regular or higher. Florida uses the tourists to pay for their infrastructure which is one reason they have no state income tax.

For the guys in San Diego why don't you use the trolley system? Then you can ride down to Tijuana buy some cigarettes and sell them back in town like the street people do and wha-laa gas money for the Camaro for weekend crusing! :D

Happy Motoring

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Paulm,

I hear ya brother!!...When we came to the Phoenix area during spring break, It was $1.99 a Gal. :eek:

When we left OKC it was about $1.30. We filled up again just east of Albuquerque it was $1.59. When we made it to Flagstaff it had risen to $1.79 a gallon. The gas prices in PHX took my breath away!

I'm glad to be paying about $1.30 again.

Take care,
Mark P.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
When I was living out on Long Island NY 10 years ago the pumps all displayed the amount of tax was added to a gallon of gas. This was when gas was around 1.05 to 1.10. Average tax on those signs around 47.9 cents per gallon. The Feds took about 20 cents, state and local too the other 27.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts