Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm at the gas station trying to put gas in my '68, the pump constantly shuts off. Even when I barely squeeze the handle, a little gas goes in then the pump does the automatic shutoff as if the tank's full.

I takes about 10 minutes to put any meaningful amount of fuel in the car, which is a pain because it gets about 8 miles per gallon! I checked and the filler neck doesn't seem to be blocked. I've had other '68s without this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a chevy LUV that did the same thing. I drove it to Washington from California and messed with the damn pumps every stop. It had and s-10 V6 in it. What a trip.

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
Pull the boot back away from the tank filler hole. It seals and the air being displaced by the gas in the tank comes back out and the pressure causes the pump to stop. Just a slight crack to relieve pressure makes all the differene in the world... If your using a nozzle without the boot try turning it 90 degrees from the way you would normally insert it!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I always have better luck when I pull the pump almost all the way out of the filler neck as long as the pump doesn't have the gas recovery cup on it. As another poster stated I just pull the flexable cover back enough to allow air to flow when the pump does have one.

...Ron

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
is the fuel tank dented? I had a veh once with a bad dent in the bottom, and it never filled fast or fully after that.

------------------
76 Camaro/mild 350 .030/M21/Z28 body parts/lotsa other goodies

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have mentioned that I have tried pulling the filler out almost all the way while filling, rotating it, etc. with no change. Most of the pumps around here don't have that rubber boot on the pump, but some do.

The tank has a small dent on the bottom, but it's very small. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's funny....I have the opposite problem in my 67...the gas pumps never want to shut off until they spray gas all over the rear valence and bumper!!!! The pumps here do not have the vapor recovery boot.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

My 1967 Camaro

·
Registered
650 Posts
Can you fit a hose into the filler tube? I had a Chrysler once that did this, and it turned out that someone had tried to steal my fuel and left the hose buried deep in the filler tube. I realized it was there after I myself tried to put a hose down the hole to see if it was clogged, and it wouldn't go in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i had a truck once that did the same thing and it had too sharp of a bend in the neck down near the tank to let air out and that was it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Breathweapon, I did try sticking a hose into the filler neck and it went all the way in down to the bottom of the tank. There don't seem to be any obstructions.

Dave

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
"That's funny....I have the opposite problem in my 67...the gas pumps never want to shut off until they spray gas all over the rear valence and bumper!!!! The pumps here do not have the vapor recovery boot."

Same here. I have to get down and listen to the gas as it is filling. When I hear the sound change it is time to stop. And quick! Or else I am cleaning up the mess.

------------------
-Randy
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hmmm... These filler tubes are just a straight pipe right, with no seperate vent or anything? Weird. My van is a bit stubborn when filling too, but it seems to have a vent to let the air out. It is kind of a 2 in 1 pipe, with the smaller filler tube inside of the larger vent tube. In your case, there may be some sort of vent elsewhere that is plugged and not letting the air out. I don't really know the details as I have never dropped a fuel tank before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts