Team Camaro Tech banner

Gas Smell

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Joe G 
#1 ·
My 67 has a 327 in it. When I place her in the garage after driving the gas smell fills the entire house and it seems to linger for quite some time. Is this normal? If not how would I go about fixing this problem. My first thought would be the carb not adjusted properly. ANy answers would be appreciated. Thank you

#2 ·
That is not normal. I would check all fuel lines from the tank to the the carb. The fuel pump connections are prone to seeping as well.
Check the threaded carb connections. sometimes they can vibrate loose and seep some fuel.

If there is a gas smell, you have a leak. It can build up in the closed garage and if it finds an ignition source (water heater, clothes dryer, etc) BOOM!
That would be bad.

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
Badboatdude@CS.com
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

#3 ·
Joe,
I do not see any fluid on the gargae floor or any leaking around the carb. If I take it to a mechanic what do I tell them to look at? As you can tell I am a first timer here and items such as this is not where my talents are. thanks again.

#4 ·
You won't see fluid on the floor with a gasoline leak (unless it's really big!)
You will need to start at the carb. Take off the air cleaner. Take a clean dry cloth or paper towel and rub all fittings. Looks for wetness and gasoline. Follow the fuel hose from the carb to the pump with the towel. Do this to the entire fuel system. When the towel gets wet, you've found a leak.
I would suspect the pump to the carb, first.
Sometimes the gas cap on the tank can leak too.

Good luck!

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
Badboatdude@CS.com
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

#5 ·
gas smell (fumes) + spark = HUGH EXPLOSION!!!
not cool!

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask

#6 ·
Another thing to consider is the heat in that carb. If you got a hot carb there, the fuel may actually boil a bit releasing vapors. If it is really overpowering in smell, then I too would look for a trickle of fuel escaping from the fuel line and landing on the hot intake manifold, or somewhere thereabouts. Also, make sure that air filter is clean! A plugged air filter will choke the engine a bit allowing a lot of unburned fuel to trickle into the exhaust pipes where it is vaporized by the heat.

#9 ·
gambler,

Are you sure its gas, not just exhaust leftovers, do you back the car into the garage, or front it in with the tailpipes towards outside,

the reason I say that is because sometimes I back mine in the garage, and if I close the garage door right away, it stinks the entire house up. like a gas/exhaust smell, but if I leave the door open for a few it dont.

hope that helps...

------------------

Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list

#10 ·
Chris,
I pull the car in front first with the pipes facing the garage door. Even after driving the car I smell like gas/exhaust fumes. Gas mileage does not seem to be real bad and acceleration is ok. Even when I lift the hood the smell is definately coming from the engine.

#11 ·
#12 ·
just don't put it off,I used to have a nice 69 SS nova that had a leak somewhere I was going to get to it on the weekend,
fri morning on my way to work it stalled at a light and wouldn't start when I lifted the hood KABOOM!!!The whole engine bay was a fire ball.
it was a krispy critter before the fire dept got there,and when it was over everything that wasn't burnt was killed by the water

I cryed....
then then monday I bought a 72 camaro.
god do work in mysteryuos ways doesn't he

just don't put it off like I did ,you may not get the chance to get to it!!!!!!!

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69

#13 ·
Found the problem! You guys are not going to believe this one. I noticed this totally by mistake today. I was at the gas station waitng in line to put in some fuel. I decided to go ahead and take the gas cap off. When I did I noticed that it seemed very loose. I put it back on and noticed that it was not sealing completly. I have put gas in this thing a hundred times and this never crossed my mind until today. So there you have it. A loose gas cap was causing my entire house to smell like a refinery. Thanks for all the input guys. You have been fantastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.