Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled my gas tank today. To my surprise it had about a gallon of gas that had been in there since 1983. I looked down the filler neck and it appears to be shiney inside...I was thinking rust. Any problems having it cleaned and reuse it? Anyway, I cant figure out how to remove the sending unit on the top...any ideas?

BTW its a 69 convertible

Bob

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
If it's not rusty, you can reuse it. Remember that the tank is visible from the rear, so make sure the condition of the outside is up to your standards.
As for the sending unit, there's a lock ring that must be spun off. USE A BOARD, OR A BRASS DRIFT TO REMOVE IT. DO NOT CREATE A SPARK. THE GAS MAY BE OLD, BUT IT IS STILL VOLATILE.
Better yet, give your mother-in-law a steel hammer, and ask her to remove it, while you go to the store.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

I have tried to spin it of but no luck....

Any ideas?

I am going to throw an intraoral camera (used in dental offices) in there on Tuesday to make sure there is no rust on the filler side or the top. Would really like to get the sender out first. 1 gallon of 1983 gas for sale...any takers....dont know what to do with it? any ideas?

Bob

·
15,374 Posts
Soak the ring area with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench. Then use a brass drift to spin it loose. I went through a lot of Liquid Wrench when I tore mine down. It works great.

Wow... The Smithsonian might want that old gas for their museum!

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
'69 wallet crusher
My neverending project!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I let the radiator shop do it. I used the old gas to kill weeds that grow up between the cracks in the driveway. Cheaper than Roundup and works faster too! Dont use too much or you will pollute the groundwater and exterminate the whales.

-Mark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts