Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be able to remove the locking nut on top of the gas tank that holds the gas metering device in? This is a 69 and has never been removed and pretty rusted up.

Thanks

·
15,370 Posts
Yes, this 'ring' should turn counter-clockwise. If it's rusted, soak it with Liquid Wrench or WD-40, or even naval jelly to loosen it up. Don't hammer on it because you'll deform the tank and the little prongs around the opening. Once you get it off, the fuel sending unit will come right out. Under it will be a rubber O ring. That's probably totally shot also.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I went through the same thing and ended up buying a new repro tank, sending unit and ring/gasket. I figured the original had paid for itself and the rust and crud wasn't worth cleaning and sealing.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
115 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You mean don't hammer on it any more......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bring the marshmallows.

Seriously.... what the guys b4 said... Liquid Wrench, and that thing should spin.

If not, money spent on a new "repro" tnak is always well worth it in the long run.

David

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
F.Y.I. You can still buy the 69 tank thru G.M.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've changed hundreds of in tank fuel pumps and or sending units and have yet to see one that spun right off. Every one i've taken off had to be pursuaded with a hammer and a brass drift. Notice I said Brass to eliminate sparks which may occur if useing a steel punch or chisel. If it's real rusty, soak it with some penetrating fluid to help cut through the rust. Your still going to have to use something to tap the lock ring around to get it off. I believe they make a special tool to get those rings off with but I have never needed one. Just use a little common sense when removing it and you'll have no problem. One more thing if you use a light to look into the tank use a flashlight and not a 110 volt drop light. If the 110 light comes in contact with the gas it could cause the bulb to bust and it sure will be some light then!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts