Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding a facory A/C unit from an old parts car to my 67 convert. (that originally had no a/c). Its got the original 275 hp 327 with a powerglide trans., only about 70,000 original miles. This car is very stock and original in everyway. That's why I want to put in original factory air and not an aftermarket a/c. The reason I'm asking is because in the "1967 Chassis Service Manual" pg. 1A-51 Fig. 66 looks as though there's a gasket. On pg. 205 of my "1967 Camaro Assembly Manual" it looks as though there isn't a gasket. I've looked through my Camaro sales catalogs and none of the major suppliers have such a gasket listed, though they do sell part of the evaporator box itself. If anyone out there knows if I need a gasket to be correct, please respond! Where might I buy such an item? An auto A/C place? Also, if anyone out there has any experience with such an A/C convertion, please let me know of any unwanted suprises I might encounter in the future. Thanks for any information, people!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you know that the firewalls are different for an A/C car and a non A/C car?? The cut outs for the boxes are completely different. You'll need a donor firewall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I know about the firewall differences. I have the firewall from the donor car. I intend to graph it into my original firewall. When I took the evaporator box off from the parts car, there wasn't a gasket between the box and the firewall. I just don't know if this is
correct. Gasket or no..?

·
Registered
204 Posts
On 2 '69 A/C cars I've done, the sealer was the consistancy of puty, so I used rope caulk, which you can get at just about any hardware store. The one car had a bead of silcone-like stuff around the outside, I think due to the evaporator being replaced at one time.

I think rope-caulk should do the trick for ya.

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I used 3M "Strip Caulk" which I got from an Automotive paint supply house. It's black, and is easy to use. I used it between the evaportator halves, as well as against the firewall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!! I hadn’t thought about an automotive caulk. I
think I’m going to go with the 3-M product. There’s an automotive paint store close by
and I need to pick up some paint stripper anyway. I know they sell 3-M products there and I’ve like their quality in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts