Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am putting things back together and I have a few gasket questions. I have read over alot of posts but there are mixed reviews.

Exhaust Manifolds:
The factory didn't use exhaust manifold gaskets... Should I? My builder gave me a set of Felpro compressed fibre laminate gaskets but they stick out just over the manifolds.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-MS9275B/?rtype=10

Quadrajet:
I understand the factory used a gasket and a metal heat shield. What gasket(s) should I use under my rebuilt carb? Should I block off the oil galley plugs and what effect would this have?

Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Those exhaust manifold gaskets seal VERY well.
I use them on my headers, none of the other high dollar one piece header gaskets cut the mustard, these work very well and are individual for easy install and better sealing.

I would use the heat shield under the Q-Jet as you mentioned, many of my friends use them on their Q-jets.

Did your builder use the one piece rubber oil pan gasket? If not, I would install one.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After some more research I am returning to this thread...
I will be using the manifold gaskets linked above.
I will be using the original style metal heat sheild. (John, I read that some people plug the holes in the intake instead of using a heat sheild)
I did upgrade to the one piece oil pan gasket.

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
If the sealing surfaces on the exhaust manifolds and the heads are smooth and not pitted, forget the gaskets. You don't need them and you'll be better off in the longrun. You won't have to do the job twice because they burned out.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I will be using the original style metal heat sheild. (John, I read that some people plug the holes in the intake instead of using a heat sheild)
If your intake pad has a "hot-slot" across the front with a hole at each end (similar to the photos below), you really want to plug those two holes to stop the flow of hot exhaust gases through the "slot". Even with the original stainless baffle in place, the heat can distort/crack the baseplate and loosen the two plugs in the bottom of the fuel bowl (there was a huge GM recall in 1969 for engine fires on Q-Jet cars with "hot-slots").

I tap the holes and use 1/4" NPT allen-head pipe plugs.

:beers:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If you want some extra sealing, Permatex Ultra Copper RTV is good for the exhaust manifolds.

I use a 1/4" composite heat insulator gasket on mine (square bore throttle body). Here's one for a Q-jet although it is paper.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FPP-1905/

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the photos!
Is there any other way to plug the holes... everything is already assembled and I'm worried about the filings falling into the intake?
I assume the heat shield goes directly against the intake with the gasket between the heat shield and the carb... is this correct or do I use a gasket on either side of the heat shield?

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Thanks for the photos!
Is there any other way to plug the holes... everything is already assembled and I'm worried about the filings falling into the intake?
I assume the heat shield goes directly against the intake with the gasket between the heat shield and the carb... is this correct or do I use a gasket on either side of the heat shield?
If you can find the correct fitting deep cup freeze plug , that may work but drill and tap is better. you can stuff manifold with rags and even have a shop vac going at the same time, to pull up fittings. Heavy grease will help hold filings also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts