Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)I bought someone else's project which is a stripped down '69 Z28 rolling chassis. The body is straight and rust free, but has to be built from just about a bare shell. Since I didn't disassemble it, I have a lot of learning to do.
Anyway, with this car I received a complete new wiring harness from M&H Electrical Fabricators in CA. This new dash harness is designed to support a tachometer and center fuel gauge, and apparantly no console gauges. Now I must decide whether to go that route, see if M&H will exchange the harness for a console gauge design, or use the harness that came in the car. With some cleaning and a little maintenance, it would probably be OK to use. What do you guys think?
2) Could I adapt an AutoMeter console unit to this new dash harness?
3) Does anyone have information as to what all the individual plugs would attach to? It would be nice to have a photo of each plug and what it feeds.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I don't have my trusty d&r catalog here to verify this, but I'm reasonably certain (on a 68 anyway) that the console guage harness is a separate peice of wiring.

The Fisher body assembly manual details that wiring pretty well.

It certainly seems possible and practical to adapt the oem wiring to the a/m guages

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rsmith1969 & JimM - This new harness is for a straight drive car, the right harness for the car in that respect, but it apparantly does not have a plug to attach to the console gauge harness.
The old harness under the dash has an extension on the very end that I suspect goes to the console gauges, considernig the length and multiple wire leads.

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
The correct harness would have wiring and a plug that goes down to the console and plugs into it to give power to the guages and light at the rear. Check with M&H and see if they would exchange it. I used all of their wire harnesses on my car and was very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jonesy, I believe that I will discuss an exchange with M&H. I am not the purchaser of this harness and I have removed it from the bag, but it has not been installed nor tampered with.
I ordered M&H's catalog to give me an idea of what to exchange it for. They may insist on a few $$ to exchange.
JimM - You're right, the assy manual does have a lot of information on the wiring harness specifics. I have had my manual just a couple of weeks and am just now spending time with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts