Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my gauges out in order to replace my carpet. There is a heavy gauge yellow wire on the back with a connector and it isn't connected to anything any ideas? Also how can I test the ammeter with it out of the car?

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Goes from the low fuel light module on the console gauge cluster to the low fuel light in the right dash pod.

With the guage out of the car you can apply 1/2 volt dc (NO MORE) to either terminal, ground to the other. The gauge will deflect either right or left full scale whan you do it. The ammeter is a millivolt meter with a range of -0.5 to +0.5 volts.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Do not put this gauge in series with any significant amperage load. You will destroy it. The gauge only measures a differential between the battery and the alternator and reports a positive or negative charge. It's not really an Amp meter in the true sense of word.
Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
I believe you could test the gauge out of the car by connecting one lead to the horn relay and the other lead to the terminal connection in front of the battery. I don't think this gauge needs to be grounded.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
On a 69. This gauge is normally attached with the black wire to the power terminal behind the battery, and the other wire, a black with a white stripe to the same wire that comes off the alternator (the big red one that feeds a charge to the battery) but it is connected to this wire just upstream or before it reaches the voltage regulator. So it measures a charge if the alternator is putting out more than battery voltage, or a no charge if the alternator is putting out less than battery voltage. The ground wire is a small gage 16ga. or 18ga. for the console gauge lights only. The best way to test this gauge in my opinion, is in the car. Just hook up a set of cables to a known undercharged battery and observe the gauge. Putting lights on high beam and turning the headlights on and off will also cause the gauge to operate. It didn't move much anyway.
A real amp gauge has ALL of the vehicles voltage flowing through it. (except the starter). It is connected in series with the wire that comes off the battery to feed power to the whole vehicle. These types of amp gauges were replaced with the safer style you see on the early Camaros. Vehicle fires were responsible for this change. Just about every manufacturer that puts gauges in a car today, uses a volt gauge. (sometimes labled a BATTERY gauge) These are a much easier gauge to install, are more usefull and much safer.
Hope this helps.
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts