Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the standard firewall boot in there. It was installed new just a couple of years ago. When I pulled the engine for my recent rebuild it was already cracking and had a hole torn in it.

I decided to take a crack at another approach.

This is what I ended up with. It seals pretty good and will probably last forever. If I decide to go back to the boot, I just remove this plate assembly and install a boot ... like nothing ever happened. ;)

DSC_3107 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

DSC_3109 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

And yes, that is an extra spring on my clutch bell crank.

IMG_3292 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

IMG_3291 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Mine didn't last very long either. I used a third generation boot before I went hydraulic.

Reactions: ZZ_430

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could reduce the size of the hole in the hard plastic “washer” and have it seal a bit better, but it’s quite good now.
Certainly better than a split and deteriorated rubber boot.

I’ll know more in a few years. 😜

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,252 Posts
Good information :) thanks for sharing.
I also just installed a first gen boot, and will install speed direct clutch linkage soon so I may need to find a solution for this boot as well...
Without the 11" booster in the way it is easier to see and work in that area...

Marc

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes in deed! :)

That has been a point of focus on this car. "Simplify"

Simplify everything I can. Less clutter and confusion, less things to break or go bad. In the instance of the brakes, they were power (4-wheel disc) and when the booster went bad I swapped the master cylinder and dumped the booster. I don't miss it.

Same sort of thinking with this clutch rod pass-through. This assembly can't really go bad and a side benefit is it cost me absolutely nothing. Zero $$$.

If it does somehow go bad, the only things that can go are the leather back plate (I always have leather around) or that plastic washer/slider. it is just cut out of a rather thickish black hard plastic lid that came of an emptied jar from the kitchen.

And as mentioned, I did not modify anything on the firewall to install it. It simply screws into the two existing holes.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First gen boot didn't even last 1,000 miles in a year. What's the deal with the poor manufacturing !?!

Second gen. boot 5 years and 5k miles, still looks good.
Seems like they might do well to just make the newer version the standard.

Sell the original as a concourse correct option only.

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,252 Posts
Larry, I may end up doing as you.
And about the booster, it is really smth I'll have to check also. I am not satisfied of my brakes for the moment. I bought new performance brake pads will see. But this is another topic...

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Good information :) thanks for sharing.
I also just installed a first gen boot, and will install speed direct clutch linkage soon so I may need to find a solution for this boot as well...

Marc
Save yourself the trouble later and toss that first generation boot in the trash. They have always been a crappy part. I bet theyre made from the same cheap rubber as the boots on those Chinese balljoints.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Larry, I may end up doing as you.
This type of solution is obviously not for everyone, but I enjoy creating things.

If I can see it in my mind, I can usually make it happen.

One thing I am liking more as time passes is less visual clutter. Nothing hidden inside a boot or beyond the boot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I could reduce the size of the hole in the hard plastic “washer” and have it seal a bit better, but it’s quite good now.
Certainly better than a split and deteriorated rubber boot.

I’ll know more in a few years. 😜
How about some felt to seal it?
Not bad. While it won't seal 100% it should last a long time at close to 100%.
How about some felt to seal it?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Felt might help for a while, but IMO would lack durability long-term.

Keep in mind the only place where there is any gap in the seal is that slight area where the shaft penetrates the plastic washer. Everything else involving the plate and back plate are sealed perfectly. ;)

We are just talking about maybe a 1/16" crescent around the bottom half of the shaft.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Felt might help for a while, but IMO would lack durability long-term.

Keep in mind the only place where there is any gap in the seal is that slight area where the shaft penetrates the plastic washer. Everything else involving the plate and back plate are sealed perfectly. ;)

We are just talking about maybe a 1/16" crescent around the bottom half of the shaft.
They just weren't well designed. To feel the heat coming in through that tiny hole is just crazy in my head. But it definitely does. I'm going to address mine again. I just need the time to get to it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't imagine for a second, I will fell heat through that 1/16" crescent.

That's not saying I wouldn't take another crack at one with a tighter fit.

It's does need to be loose enough for the shaft to move forward and backward through it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts