Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Camaro seems to have a spot in the steering where it sort of catches and then releases as you are turning. It is noticeable when you are driving and start to go around a corner. You can feel it in the steering wheel like there is something not allowing it to turn then once you get through that spot it is fine. My steering linkage isn't hitting anything so it seems to be a gear box issue. I have an IROC gear box. Anyone else have this issue or know of a fix besides changing the gear box?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the same exact issue. I'm running a big block and I had to dent my headers to clear the box - and they just barely cleared by 1/8 inch or so. I assumed the heat had caused something in the box to get fried and thus causing a feeling like resistance at a certain point while turning. If I recall, it only happened when turning one direction.

I pulled the engine/trans and everything else this spring and I'm putting it all back together with correct frame stands and stock exhaust manifolds so I shouldn't have any more clearance issues. Also replacing the box while everything is out so hopefully resolves the issue for me but I'm following this thread to find out what others think is the issue.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
If the problem is just off center and occurs when turning both directions it could be the over center adjustment is too tight. Loosen the lock nut on the top of the box and back out the allen screw a half turn and see if it improves.

Jeff

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had this problem before. Try checking the V belt and make sure it is tight and not oily or greasy. When you go to turn you put torque on the pump which in turn puts torque on the fan belt causing it to slip. It finally catches up and then the car will turn normally. Drove me crazy for awhile!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts