Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Belt drives are used on plenty of engines produced today, overhead cam engines, foreign and domestic. Great way to do a cam drive, but none are produced in mass quantities for earlier pushrod american engines, and yes, the Jesel drive is really expensive, but well worth it in a racing situation.

A single idler gear drive is much more accurate, will live lots longer and perform much better than a dual idler setup, that's why the fuel and alchohol people use a single idler plate mounted gear drives only, and they buy and use what works. They don't use dual idler stuff.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If a roller chain or a direct drive breaks there can be alot of damage, like valves smacking pistons. Bob

·
Registered
246 Posts
And, when a Junkson dual idler drive breaks, the same valve damage happens, and you get the luck of breaking the front of the cam off as well, and all that gear scrapnel in the bottom end past the front main cap. MMMMM, let me run right out and get one, they're soooooooooo good-NOT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was Racing Director at a Texas dirt track for 13 years and can attest to a conversation I heard one night. I was in the pit area one night when a car owner came up to ask one of the top drivers(who was later on written up in SPEEDWAY Magazine) if his car (rear end) was broken for the night. The driver replied that it was indeed broken. The car owner asked if the driver would like to drive his car the rest of the night. The driver asked if the car owner had a timing chain or gear drive in the motor. The owner answered "it has a chain". The driver replied that he would not drive his car because he would break the chain and ruin the motor because of the jumping on the accelerator so suddenly that no timing chain would hold up to that type of action. He had driven race cars for thirty years and over that time had made the conclusion that when he destroyed an engine it was due more often by that cause.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gear drives are cool. I heard a '55 chevy with one at the parts store. If you like that whine up front, I say go for it. They are probably as reliable as a good chain.

As far as what Smokey says about chains above 7k rpm. If anyone here is winding their SBC above 7k, I salute you!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Not bad for a 14 year old thread. I've run SBC's above 7000 rpm for miles and had no problems with a timing chain. I rode in a gear-drive car once for about 50 miles and couldn't wait to get out, the noise became distracting and annoying.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts