Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My setup is a 10 bolt 8.2 inch with 3.73 gears on my '69.
It looks like my pinion is too deep? The pinion shim is currently .026. Should I reduce to a .023? My backlash is .008.

With my backlash currently correct, I wasn't sure how to move the drive side from the toe and get it more to the middle.

Thanks for suggestions. 11.20.20.jpg 11.20.20b.jpg

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Yes, it's too deep. Don't look at heel and toe. Look at root to face. You have a very sharp line at the root and almost nothing at the face. I think you need to move about .010. Be sure that your bearing races are completely seated in the housing and that the inner pinion bearing is seated completely against the shim and pinion head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Will do that and re-pattern. (Might not be until after Thanksgiving.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a change before I headed out for Thanksgiving. Freddie - Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
My new set-up:
Backlash = .012
Reduced to a .019 pinion shim
15-18 inch lbs. rotational torque - pinion only with test bearings

Am I headed in the right direction? Good enough to run or made another change? (test bearings makes changes easy) Many thanks!

Don
11.24.20coast.jpg 11.24.20drive.jpg

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
That's much better. Did you check the bearing races to be sure that they are seated completely? Your pinion shim shold be around .030 which is why I'm wondering if the race is seated. I've had gears that required very little shim before, but it's unusual.

When you get back to it stick an axle in it and rotate it at least 5 full turns in both directions and see if the pattern is a little more clear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts