Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st kick at the can. 3.73 Richmond 8.875. Using a .027 pinion shim.
.008 backlash.

Drive

Coast

I'd say pinion to close judging by the way the drive pattern runs off the top land, and leaves a sharp line along the flank...But I'm not so sure.

Any comments or suggestions from those in the know, would be appreciated.

Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Too much toe contact and too high. Move the ring gear away from the pinion (increase backlash) while maintaining minimum backlash.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's not a good pattern - needs some tweaking.

Are you checking the backlash correctly? Pattern looks kinda weird. Be sure to keep the plunger perpindicular to the face of the tooth when checking.

Also, be sure your ring gear has no more that .0005" runout.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, it's a ugly pattern. I'm just in the learning stage right now.
I have all the time in the world, and have absolutely no problem taking it apart as many times as it needs. No doubt I'll be very familiar with these when done!

Is it common to encounter excessive ring gear runout? I'll check it this weekend when I can get back at it.

cheers, MC

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Well, maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't look too bad to me. I doubt that you will get it much better. Heavy toe contact can not always be adjusted out, and it is more important to get it even between the root and face than it is heel to toe. It looks pretty good from root to face. Try some other set ups and see what happens, but remember where you have it right now in case you need to go back to it.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Looks like you have a posi. Stick and axle in it and use the axle to turn it. You can use a wrench on a ring gear bolt to turn the differential if it isn't a posi. Always use the ring gear to turn the pinion, not the other way around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts