Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed out the generator to an alternator/regulator combo. I recently changed over to an alternator with built in regulator. Now gen light is on.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
Welcome Carlos. I'm not familiar with the conversion and how it's wired, but to start with, I'd measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running to determine if the alt. is actually charging. Should be around 14+V with engine running. Let us know if it's just the idiot light acting up or if it's not charging...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same thing with my 67. I found my issue to be the new voltage regulator I installed at the same time. I even tried a second new VR and same thing. I put the 50 year old one back on and it works perfect. I haven't had time to track down the why yet.

·
Super Moderator
32,771 Posts
Welcome, Carlos, to the club.

You're problem may be the wiring of the OE wiring to the 10SI/12SI alternator, if this is the choice of model.
On the original VR connector, jumper together the two inner terminals and jumper together the two outside terminals.
The connector at alt should be swapped, meaning from the 10DN connector, blue wire and white wire are swapped places.
An adapter from 10DN to 10SI/12SI can be purchased from an aftermarket vendor or make jumpers and use shrink tubing to insulate the set-up.

If you used a CS series alt, their is a separate hook-up.

Moved your thread to Electrical as there is a thread about wiring in this forum, you might do a search.
This thread may explain and answer your questions. Use a 3-wire hook-up.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/19-electrical-wiring/105756-alternator-conversion-do-not.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts