Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 67 camaro with a 230 and I bought a 18 circuit wiring harness. Ever since I installed it my generator light is turned "ON" on the ACC position and off on the "ON" position. The charging system is fine and I installed a new ignition switch, alternator and external regulator but the problem continues. I had this same harness on a previous camaro and there were no problems. The wires on the bacl of the ignition switch are as follows: red-battery, purple-SOL., green-ground, orange & pink wires-ign., brown-ACC. I triple checked all the connections, there were no burned fuses. The Painless wiring tech was to no help. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just a stab in the dark with the pain harness. I think I see what's going on, sort-of. What confused me is the orange wire until I remembered the harness is universal. Orange was used in later years.

The factory wiring has 2 brown wires going to the ignition switch on one terminal. At least there is one solid brown and one brown with stripe. One of these browns went to the fuse block. The brown striped went to the regulator. If the brown to the regulator gets 12 volts, in the ACC position, the GEN light goes on.

May not be the correct way to fix it but try moving the one brown striped wire from the ACC to the IGN terminal on the switch. Real problem has something to do with the way the fuse box is wired. It's set up a little different than the original. I believe orange and brown tie together in later models.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the same problem with my 67. The gen light stays on at idle but as soon as I get on the gas it goes away. It has the original wiring harness and I've also replaced the voltage regulator, ignition switch, alternator. I have no clue when it comes to electrical so I don't know what it could be.

·
Registered
523 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shadow53:
I have the same problem with my 67. The gen light stays on at idle but as soon as I get on the gas it goes away. It has the original wiring harness and I've also replaced the voltage regulator, ignition switch, alternator. I have no clue when it comes to electrical so I don't know what it could be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
His problem is different. The GEN light can't come on the the RUN position. Just like not having a light.
If your idle is high enough, chances are it's the regulator. Adjusting it would help but try this. Stick in a Wells VR715 solid state regulator. Available from AutoZone for $11.00. Drop in replacement.
Disconnect the battery when installing. Be sure to ground its case to the core support. Either use a grounding wire or ground one of its mounting feet to the core support with a screw and nut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts