Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has an AAW Update kit installed and worked perfectly until this morning when I tried to go to work. The GEN light came on and got brighter with the RPM increasing. At idle I read 13.58; 13.48 with the fans on. Also, she tried to diesel once the ignition was killed. Any ideas?
- Rob

·
Super Moderator
32,608 Posts
What kind of update kit in wire harness?
Convert to internally reg'd alternator?
If so, internal reg going bad.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All new wires everywhere and she does have an internally regulated alternator that is properly hooked up. New alt is all I need? Too easy.

- Rob

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Well the internal regulator plug can be swapped out without replacing the alternator if only the regulator is bad.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New Symptom

Went out to my car this morning and the gen light and radio were on even though the keys were out and ign off. Could this be humidity or something weird?
- Rob

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Either your car is possessed or you wired something up drastically wrong.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either your car is possessed or you wired something up drastically wrong.
It's been fine for over a year and I changed/messed with nothing at all. I've put over 20K miles on the car since the wiring was redone with no issue until this. Could the internals of the alternator be bad allowing power to come back through the input wire to my ign thus powering the accessories?
- Rob

·
Registered
Lyle 1969 Camaro Convertible
133 Posts
are you certain the ignition was really off? Not unheard of to be able to remove the key while still in the run position on a worn out ignition key cylinder.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you certain the ignition was really off? Not unheard of to be able to remove the key while still in the run position on a worn out ignition key cylinder.
Fair question, but yes it was. I checked twice just incase I was being a dummy.
- Rob

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
put a 12v test light stick between battery cable and battery post, it should light up indicating a short somewhere. Then start unplugging fuses one at a time until the light goes out...there is your problem circuit. Then backtrack that circuit to find a pinched wire or something like that. :)

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
put a 12v test light stick between battery cable and battery post, it should light up indicating a short somewhere. Then start unplugging fuses one at a time until the light goes out...there is your problem circuit. Then backtrack that circuit to find a pinched wire or something like that. :)

The Gen light and radio turn off if I pull the plug on the alt. Plug the alternated connector back in and it turns right back on.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Well it seems like you've found the problem then.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's a part number for a 10si alt that puts out 100-105 amps? I want more than stock due to the electric fans and AC.
- Rob

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
If it died due to too many amps there are plenty of 1 wire alternators out there for cheap.

I bought a 120a 1 wire off eBay 2 years ago for about $80. Lifetime gaurantee, chrome and very, very stable power. No matter what rpm I have a constant 14.1 volts. Lights don't dim, electric fan is happy, and I'm happy.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/350970868932?nav=SEARCH

Not factory correct by any stretch but a very nice unit for the money. $80 shipped isnt a whole lot more than what it would cost to rebuild what you have now.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Well, a one wire is certainly one way to get rid of that pesky GEN light, because it will no longer work. Not to mention overall lower system voltage compared to a 3 wire. The GEN light can also alert you to a potential overheating problem since the alt and water pump usually share the same fan belt.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spent the time to wire a three wire set up and zip tie it all pretty, I'm keeping a three wire. Also, I'm trying to get it local thus hunting a part number. The advanced autos near my house wasn't helpful; I kept being told to buy an original... Tomorrow, AutoZone!
. - Rob

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Well, a one wire is certainly one way to get rid of that pesky GEN light, because it will no longer work. Not to mention overall lower system voltage compared to a 3 wire. The GEN light can also alert you to a potential overheating problem since the alt and water pump usually share the same fan belt.
That alternator can be wired either way.

·
Registered
247 Posts
another thing to check is your radio, I have had intermittant events with my classic sound aftermarket radio AM/FM cassette where the radio stays on/no sound after I have shut the car down and causes a draw on the battery. I noticed this after work the car sat all day with the radio energized and when I started my car I noticed my amp guage indicating a charge event. I had to disconnect the power lead to the radio and reset to clear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts