Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Anyone install a new Gen V LT5 or even a LT4 dry sumped motor? I have been looking at SBC, LS, LT options and obviously it is easier to make power and reliability with a crate LS or LT motor cheaper than a SBC.

My main focus will be more road course and street use rather than drag racing. So, the dry sumped LS/LT's seem to be the best bet.

Anyone out there use a Gen V LT or LS with dry sump and any real cons of using these new motors? Any difficulties installing them? Can you offer any install advice?

I am likely going with a new LT5 crate motor.

thanks,
Dave

·
13,741 Posts
The LT5 will be an expensive venture. Not a lot of aftermarket support as yet. I don’t know if they even make headers or accessory drives that will work with a 1st Gen.

You can get the same power with an LS3 and a whipple or even and ZL1 take off blower for way less than 1/2 the cost. And tons of aftermarket support.

At least at this time that’s the way I would go.

Reactions: 130fe and EVL SS

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, Holly makes all the swap parts(headers too) but, you still need use the dry sump pan and and mount the dry sump tank. GM sells all the hoses so, you can use all the hose ends and make you own hoses pretty easy. They already make a flash and pulley change but, thats it. As I can see, the only difference between LT4 and 5 is the height of the supercharger being 2.5" taller so hood space may be tight. I will be able to get a motor and ecu for much cheaper than advertised but, still pricey over all. That being said, it's the price of a real high end SBC.

Yeah I hear you on the LS route. I m strongly considering it but, the allure of a crate motor is nice. I would likely never upgrade it any further than stock. I mean maybe a pulley but, over 755hp is enough. I just want reliability. No tuning or anything. Plug and play(some fab work is ok). I'm not sure I want to build or have a motor built.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts