Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My generator light just came on while driving. It is on when the car is running and turns off when the ignition is off. Car is a 69' 396, with original style alt (rebuilt a year ago new everything), original style voltage regulator (A/C delco).

I've search archives and tried many things that were mentioned.

Here are some things I tried.
1) Pulled alternator apart to replace the battery terminal which was loose and showed signs of scoring on the inside of alternator. The threads were stripped (on bolt) so I had to cut off the old bolt and replace. Installed proper bolt and insulation, put back together, made sure bushings were in place.
2) Alternator was tested, checked okay.
3) Replaced horn relay
4) Replaced voltage regulator
5) Spot checked wiring harness (engine compartment)
Battery is staying charged, and the car seems to be running fine.
I read somewhere about a ground in the center of the dash bezel. Can someone describe in detail where this ground screw is, I can't seem to locate it???

Is there a simple way to check the new and old voltage regulator, I do have a tester?

Before I check the starter wires, would this affect the Gen light in any way? The starter is working perfectly.

Thanks for the help!
Joe

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
as far as the ground.. when you pull the bezel out with the gauge cluster you should see it right off.. Mine was located at the top between the two gauges. if you cant find one.. run a new wire from one of the studs to the dash panel and see if your light goes out with the engine running.

[ 06-02-2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Nantooch ]

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IT's fixed! :D

Here's what I found in case anybody has a similar problem. . .

I pulled the battery cable while the engine was running and the engine died at that point. So, I removed the alt again and had it tested at Autozone again. Still producing about 15 volts. While I was there I picked up a new $10.99 Wells regulator to replace the one I just replaced. (I had an extra original style (Delco Remy) voltage reg that I installed first. expensive!). Put the new "cheapy" regulator in and everything work fine, Gen light went off.

I think the loose "bat" terminal on the alt caused surges through the regulator. I could see scoring inside of the alt from the bolt making contact then not making contact (arcing). When I pulled the reg apart, the copper spool wire was scored and broken.

Hope this info helps someone else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, where in Maryland are you? I have a 68 Camaro that is in a perpetual state of disrepair. I would love to see yours. I'm in Annapolis.

Thanks,

Jacob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts