Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Thank God for this forum. I owe so much to so many in here (I sound like Winston Churchill).

My generator light comes on at startup real faintly then brightens when I go in reverse then dims when getting into drive (350 auto trans). While driving, the light is on real faintly. The battery died shortly after I bought the car and I thought the alternator was bad. So, I replaced both the battery and alternator. No difference. I checked the ground and wiring and they are fine. It is almost as if it is just a short that is related to the B&M rachet shifter that is in the car. I can tell that wiring wasn't something the previous owner was good at. Any ideas on what it is?

thanks!!!

leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
Edelbrock intake & carb, dynomax headers & exhaust,3.73 posi, TH350

·
Registered
574 Posts
Usually when your gen light comes on it means that your diods are bleeding back through in your rectifier bridge or diode trio. (sounds like a medical condition!!) Is it exretnaly regulated? could it be in your regulator? If you got a rebuilt it could be that you actually got one with the same prob?!?! stranger things have happened!!

·
Super Moderator
32,273 Posts
First thing I'd do would be to see if any current is being from the battery with the car turned off, sitting dead. If it has an aftermarket radio, it will draw a small amount, >1/2 amp, to supply memory power.

If more than that, start pulling fuses and check as you go for current draw.

Another thing you might check are:
1. a ground wire from body to engine.
2. clean cable connection from eng to battery
3. clean buss bar at ext regulator at rad support
4. remove/rewire correctly wire harness to new shifter
5. Charging voltage at battery posts.

Gen light is supplied 12 v on one side from ign switch, the other side comes from the alt through the ext reg to supply 12v, thereby, if no fault w/alt, bulb doesn't glow. You don't nmention if you have ext reg or changed over to internal reg, but still, int reg alt has a terminal for gen light.

Others here probably can give more suggextions

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
Rightcoast

1 - 4 of 4 Posts