Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best method for getting an F Body onto the jig? I am starting a 69 convertible project and will be building the body jig shortly that is referenced so many times. I have searched threads but I haven't found the definitive best way to place the body shell onto the jig. Thanks!!

BTW - I am going to try to modify the jig so that it can be rolled up on one side to allow access to the bottom (for cleaning and painting) and not disturb any alignments majorly before doing the actual critical supports.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Phil,
I have a 68 convertible that I put on a jig. I did it from the side. You need raise the car and support it with cribbing. Keep adding until it is high enough to slide the jig under it. Use a floor jack as well because you will need to remove and reposition the cribbing as you go. I don't know the condition of your car but you should probably brace the car before you do all this. Good luck. Check out my thread post #106. That is where I put it on the jig. Maybe the pics will help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I have certainly enjoyed your thread and pics so far. I don't know how I overlooked it!!
You mentioned bracing. The rockers are perfect in the car but I have both weak passenger floorboards as well as weak drivers foot. I will replace both floor pans individually. I intend on leaving the tunnel. I need to replace all of the factory braces underneath the pan as they are swelled a little from rust. I am wondering if I actually need project bracing? It seems pretty structurally sound and I would do one floorpan at a time. Hopefully no stress on the body. I will gladly put some in if you believe it is better for me. Your advice is greatly respected! I will be starting a build thread shortly with pics of the project to be sure I am going down the right path.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The bare body is very light. I used my chain falls to lift the body when I put it on my rotisserie. Four guys can lift it w/o much a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent help! I think I am OK on getting her on the jig then! Found some thick wall square tubing scrap to make the jig from. If I play my cards right, it may be FREE!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used 2 cherry pickers and 2 13 year olds running them to do it. put jack stands under front and removed sub frame the hung it from 1 of the cherry pickers the put the other on the tail thru the bolts for the bumper mounts.

easy and safe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts