Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to firing up my 400 sb. I am fairly new to rebuilding engines. What are the common mistakes people make and what are the most important things to check before you fire it up. is the worst thing that can happen it won`t start?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Put all the fluids in.
Prime the oil pump.
Put a shot of fresh gas down the carb or fill the bowls so it doesn't crank & crank & crank before firing up.
Break that cam in properly. 2000rpms to 2500 for 20 minutes minimum so the oil will splash the cam.
Turn the distributor if it's 180 out.
Have someone there to watch for any leaks or strange noises and what not.

Good luck
RandyB..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Keep a close eye on the gauges. You do not want to loose oil pressure or overheat at that stage of the breakin. Don't be alarmed with the smell of the engine paint burning. Listen for any bad noises. ( I love to break in my engines with open headers so the last item is often very difficult)Check for leaks,
oil, gas, and coolant frequently. I often connect a vacuum gauge to the carb during the breakin run. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Summit and Jegs sell a oil pump primer that attatches to your drill. Stick it down the Dist hole on the intake and prime. Drop the Dist in and start the motor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
autozone rents the priming tool for free. just put down a deposit and you'll get your money back when you return it.
what a bargain!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sounds stupid but MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF GAS IN THE TANK! You dont want to be a quarter of the way into the break in and run out of gas. Like I said it sounds stupid but its the little things that can really **** you off.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Distributor rotation is clockwise, so this is the direction to prime the engine via the oilpump.
I have a prime tool that works like an accusump. I attatch it to an oil line, fill the tank with 3 qts, put some air into the tank, and open the valve, and turn the engine over by hand once... it's kinda a pain in the ***, but it is effective.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Make sure your battery is fully charged.
Double check your wire and vacuum hose connections. Make sure the spark plug wire firing order is not crossed either.

Double check your belts and hoses connections also.

Have patience and good luck.
Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts