Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best stuff to use to get tranny fluid and oil off concrete garage floor.tranny fluid ,i can never get rid of!!!!!!
............thanks billy..............

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you don't have any sources of ignition in the garage, use gas. I was amazed at how well it cleaned the concrete in my garage. It also evaporates pretty quick.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Good ol' kitty litter (or hi-dri) is the best and safest. Sprinkle it on, crush it in with your feet and give it a few hours (or over night) to work. If the oil is really deep down, try wetting the surface with a low volitility solvent (I like charcol lighter fluid) and do the same dance with the kitty litter.

-dnult

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
get the majority up with saw dust or speedy dry. Carburator cleaner (spray can) works well on the stains for me...

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I used Behr concrete cleaner/degreaser. I scrubbed the floor with it and about 15 minutes later, I hosed it off. My garage floor was pretty clean after that. The stuff is pretty cheap at home depot and last a long time.

·
Registered
955 Posts
After you get the heavy stuff up, use Castrol Super Clean. It will disolve the oil and grease. I us it all the time to clean the garage floor, spot clean the driveway when someone drips on it and I use it to clean parts. It is excellent and nonflamable. Be sure to use rubber gloves when you use it. It also dissolves the oil in your skin. You will get dry fingers later and your skin will dry and flake by the next day. A little bit on you won't effect you as long as you rinse it off right away. I have used it many times without the gloves and lived with the dry skin for a day or two. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
157 Posts
FYI- Lots of chemicals are/can be absorbed through the skin into your body. Then your liver gets to get rid of it-if possible. We know what alcohol does to livers. Please use gloves of some type to limit the amount of skin contact. Tom.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
One last product recommendation - I have been using the "Oil Eater" stuff from Costco lately and really like it!
It is biodegradable and safe to hose onto grass or flower bed.
Safe to use on concrete and asphalt (I have both in drive).
Doesn't leave any stain rings or marks in drive (so far) like other products I've tried.
And pretty cheap!

It's in the Auto and tools section of the store.

My .02

·
Registered
431 Posts
I sometimes do the "cat litter dance" only afterward I do it again using powdered laundry detergent (Tide, etc.) & leave it there for a day or two if possible. Then hit it with a hose. A pressure washer works great also.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
I've used pretty much all of the above and had good success. I guess it depends how bad the spill is and the condition of your garage floor.
I am looking into coating my floor, so these spills are easier to clean up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Word to the wise on this subject. Stay away from the BIX Driveway Cleaner & Degreaser. It is a useless waste of money. Would not touch any oil stains and beaded off the driveway, much like water.

That is my .02

Timo

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I think you meant 'garage' - and isn't that $hit like $50.oo a gallon with shipping?

Not saying it's a bad product - but $50.oo buys a lot of Kitty Litter (of course it's "free" if your wife and daughter have cats - but, then the vet. bills are all over $50.) and Cosco Degreaser (@$8.oo).

Just my .02

·
Registered
76 Posts
It funny how people are always trying to save a penny here and there. I find that when you find a good product use it, you spend more in the long run buying **** products.
The griots cleaner is not $50.00 a gallon. This cleaner really works and is up there in price with all other top cleaning products.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts