Team Camaro Tech banner

Getting Power

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dnult 
#1 ·
I'm adding an electric fan to my 69 BBC. Where source should I use to power the fan? My battery is in the trunk.

#3 ·
Jim,

There currently is no junction block. The previous owner ran a cable from the battery to the starter. I'll look at your diagram to find this horn relay. The fan has a relay kit. If I wanted to add a junction block, what is the best place to get power for that?

TIA

#4 ·
You're gonna need to scope out the wiring the PO did.

A stock firstgen has 2 wires coming off the battery. The big one went to the starter, and a smaller one went first to a junction block behind the battery on the rad support, then across the rad support to the horn relay.

Power for the entire rest of the car was pulled off the horn relay.

Check the battery for more than 1 wire, if there is 2 find out where the second one goes.

If only one, check the starter for an extra wire coming off the big lug where the battery cable attaches, and find out where it goes.

One or the other has to be there.

#5 ·
Check out http://www.camaros.net/techref/electrical/dnult_alt/ and see if it has any helpful info. The article is mainly focused at upgrading your charging system, but it does show how to attach high current accessories. BTW: Make sure your alternator can handle the load of those fans. It's all too common for folks to add high current accessories like fans, electric water pumps and killer stereos only to find their OEM alternator can't keep up with all of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.