Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to swap out the small block out of my 67. Are the motor mounts on the small block the same on the big blocks? I just got a 454 out of a truck from a friend and it didn't come with the motor mounts. I was wondering if the motor mounts are the on the small blocks and big blocks, or do they have different offsets? In the parts book, I noticed the the frame brackets and engine mounts are different. Do I have to change both the frame brackets and engine mounts? Or do I just change the engine mounts? I know someone out there has done this before, I just want to make sure I have all the parts before I pull the motor. I hate running to the parts store several times in the same day. Also, is there anything else I'll have to change, other than the exhaust? I already have a built th400 tranny in the car that can handle the big block.

[This message has been edited by Allen M (edited 10-19-2000).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Allen M. , Your best be would be to do a search under "big block swap" in the general tech area. There is a lot of information there for you, maybe more than you even wanted! The search option is a powerfull tool, I love it! Just a thought. You will like the big block.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey Allen I just went thru it & still am. 1st frames mounts are different, 2nd you need new motor mounts, 3rd all engine bracketts & pulley's are different,4th if you are using a 4 speed the cross member is different, turbo 400 is still different fom 4 speed & 350. 5th the z bar is diiferent, 6th the clutch adjusting linkage is different, all of your hook up on the exhaust will most likely be diferent. I know that I've left out some of the small stuff & I hope you have 67 Camaro parts store in your neighbor hood

------------------
johnny

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 68 conv that went from a straight 6 to a 396 BB. I ended up changing everything in the drive train either because of fit or because of the extra power of the
BB. I didn't want things blowing up when I get of the gas. I tell ya though, now that its all together the BB can really get it done. Good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
All I have to say is Have Fun! I thought I would be done in a weekend. That was a joke, it seems like it took forever to get the complete swap done. I hope you have some $$$ laying around. It will nickel and dime you for a while.

Incomplete checklist:
Swap frame mounts
Exhaust manifolds
All pullies
Power steering pump brackets and housing
Power steering lines (possible)
Water pump (check it before installing)
Belts
AC brackets?
Radiator (Depends)
Radiator hoses
Exhaust system mods
Throttle linkage (Swapped to a Lokar cable)
Throttle pedal (Swapped to a Lokar pedal)
Spark plug wires
Oil + filter
Carb ?
Air cleaner and element
PCV setup
Insulation in the floor because there was more heat coming through.
Extra credit card

Rick

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
...and let us not forget the ft. coil springs. That is unless you like that ft. end sitting on the ground look

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts