Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front springs are Moog 6320's. The rear leafs are stock 5 leafs.

The shocks are Edelbrock AVS's all around.

I'm thinking of removing all the shocks to see if there's is even travel in the springs.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: Getting tried of "Stagecoach" like ride, need ideas...

Loosen up the shackle bolts and bounce the rear around a bit. Tighthen them back up with the weight on the car.

Same could go for the front suspension components. Not sure if those springs lower the front from stock, if they do.. make sure there's some travel there before the bump stops come into play.

How long has everything been together? Mine took a good amount of miles before things started to loosen up a bit.

I've seen some guys here remove a leaf or two from the 5 pack.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts

I haven't read too many positive reviews of Edelbrock shocks. I'm not saying this is your problem but it is something worth researching.

Don

·
Registered
2,332 Posts

I got 2 words for ya ....................... Four link!

But the others have made great suggestions. make sure everything is tighten with the weight on the tires. Don't tighten everything hanging.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Oh I should mention I'm running Global west springs up front with Edelbrock IAS shocks -rides nice. Out back I had Edelbrock IAS with my Hotchkis 3 leafs and compared them with some Bilsteins.. The Bilsteins were slightly less stiff so I've been running those ever since.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts

Changing shocks will make a big difference. I'm experimenting with some Napa cheepos on the rear now. I had KYB gas-a-justs and I couldn't even flex the springs by pushing down on the car. It was like having air shocks. The NAPAs give up something in the corners but on the bumps they are better.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts

KYBs are horrible stiff. I love the Hotchkis Bilstein for a NON adjustable shock, or QA1s are a great upgrade.

·
10,147 Posts

If you have factory seats, they make the ride more bouncy. The springs in the seat bottom have way too much travel and seem to be tuned to deflect fully when bumps are hit.
David

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well, For starters it looks like I'll loosen up the rear shackle bolts this weekend and take a short trip around the block. Then bounce the car up and down. See if that helps. It might even change the ride height.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

I have an untouched 69 RSSS SB with 54K original miles (24 Options #72) with factory springs that I have had for 15 years. I replaced the shocks with Delco shocks and the car rides fine. It seem the more we mess with these cars the more complex everything gets. I changed the radio and installed a larger front sway bar and BFG tires. I have your same issue with a built BB car with all the other brand parts. . .makes it more of a challenge I guess.

·
Registered
139 Posts

if there is no bounce when you press down on the trunk Its possible the 5 leafs are the heavy duty ones,
( nothing 8-10 bags of cement in the trunk won't fix and you could get the front wheels in the air off the line!!)
Or everything was tightened up with the wheels off the ground...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts