Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I glass bead blast my cylinder heads or use aluminum oxide. Rust is not the problem, I just want to get them clean and ready for painting. Also is it safe to blast inside the combustion chamber to get rid of the carbon and to get the gaskets off of the gasket surfaces? I have a big blasting cabinet and I'd be doing all this myself, are there any tips you guys know that I should be aware of?

thanks in advance....

------------------
1968 Coupe, 327/210hp project in process. PS/PB, Factory AC
Soon to be 327/275hp

·
10,164 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. Pistons are glass beaded all the time.
I have a pair of heads that have been beeded several times, no problems.

Make sure you get all the beads out and put tape over ALL the water passages. No sense getting glass bead inside there...

I'd scrape as much gasket off as possible befor blasting. I don't think bead blasting is real good at removing gasket material and if you have to blast excessively to remove the gasket material it may wear the head.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bead blasting was the standard in cleaning parts until about 20 years ago. Since then, ovens and better chemicals have become more common. As long as you don't stay in one spot there is little chance of damaging anything and beads will remove anything to be found. Cleaning bolt holes and the water passages can be challanging and may require several cycles of cleaning. An air source and blow nozzle are helpful also (be sure to wear safety glasses).

------------------
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.