Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jusy put a new glove box lock on my 69 and I didnt get it tight enough,now I want to remove the lock to tighten nut. Any suggestions?

[ 02-01-2004, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: porschedave ]

·
Registered
945 Posts
Lock the glove box keeper with the door open. There should be an inspection hole at 12:00 where a small pin be inserted to depress a retainer wafer in the first position of the lock. While depressed you should gently pull the face cap away from the front of the glove box door. You can insert a small screw driver behind the face of the cylinder to get it to pop out but be very gentle. Once the retainer lets go only the locking wafers are holding it in but a key cannot be inserted because of the retainer being in the way. You will need to pick the wafers in the lock with a bobby pin so that they can be depressed down one at a time starting from front to back. While picking them downwards gently pull the cylinder out and it will come out rather quickly.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I was able to successfully do this with mine a few months ago. A friend of mine needed it done so he brought his glove box door over to my house. I wasn't able to get his apart. He took it to a locksmith friend and he had the necessary tools and 'know-how' to get it apart and re-tightened. If you aren't able to do it yourself, I'm sure your local locksmith can do it for you.

·
Registered
945 Posts
DrDave69...

He already did it as posted above. By the way so that you all know, I am a Certified Master Locksmith and have been a locksmith for 20+ years. The info provided was correct and the pictures linked to by Zach were also a good tool. Glad it worked out quickly for you PorcheDave. Anytime I can be of help is a good day on Team Camaro!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts