Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that many of us install the radio in the glovebox. I have seen some really nice set-ups. Does anyone have pics they would like to share of how they have done this???

I am planning to cut the back out of my glovebox and only have the radio protruding a few inches into the box. I'll place a metal plate under the glove box and secure the radio to this...

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Order a repro glove box first.
The originals are a little different.
I did that to mine many years ago.

took me a long time before I found another real one.

IMPORTANT...
Make sure you get a radio with remote control.
I found it was a major hassle everytime I wanted to turn down the volume.
I eventually wore out my glovebox latch. :(

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Order a repro glove box first.
The originals are a little different.
I did that to mine many years ago.

took me a long time before I found another real one.

IMPORTANT...
Make sure you get a radio with remote control.
I found it was a major hassle everytime I wanted to turn down the volume.
I eventually wore out my glovebox latch. :(
But you'll have to leave the glovebox open as the remotes are infrared.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did this in my 68. Alum. shelf, radio sticking out the back. I had crutchfield send me a free universal underdash mount. I cut the back of this also and epoxied it to the alum. and then paint alum. flat black. The shelf is screwed to the existing holes the glove box and door attach to. It is a sony, I purchased the rotary commander, wired remote, and stuck it on my steering column. Works great.

I am going to look for an original AM , working or non, to put in the dash.

Give me an e-mail and I could send a pictue of my set up. I do not have pictures sitting on the web anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
At the time only Sony had the wired remotes.
I never got one, but I always was going to run the wire down the hump,
and come in through the center column storage area.

No latch to wear out. :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One TC member had actually soldered an IR connection onto the head unit and placed it outside of the glovebox. He could then use the remote...very slick...

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In searching past posts I found one where they discuss mounting the head unit faceplate in the visor...

Would you have to solder the wires to the headunit and then run them up to the visor? This would be an awesome way to install...

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
I put a pioneer system in my glovebox but had to hang the CD player under it. I drilled holes in the heater box and used well-nuts to bolt up aluminum L bars to support the radio above and suspend the CD player below. Works fine, had to cut holes in the glovebox back side for wires of course but out of sight, out of mind.
go thru the pics in my Interior section too.

go down to Pioneer photo labels

here is finished pic:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeff,

That is exactly what I was looking for...I just bought the adapter on Ebay for $13.00 shipped and it will fit perfect in the glovebox.

I'll install it upside down and screwed to a black metal plate. I wish I had found this a long time ago.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone interested--here are pics of the install using a universal underdash radio mount. It keeps the radio secured and leaves some glovebox space too.

They sell these on Ebay for $13.00-ish...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also put a Kenwood cd unit in the glovebox. I purchased the ipod adapter which is a 3 foot cable. I turn the volume up and shut the glovebox door. You can control the volume from the face of the ipod...its the same as if you had headphones...total control and only a ipod sitting on the console.

Tower

1 - 20 of 22 Posts