Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more question. In the dark if i look at my sparkplugs while the engine is running i can see them being fired, the white part lights up evertime it gets spark, is this normal? I have msd setup(box,dist.,coil) i would guess it is normal, just wondering if my plugs were bad in some way??? using autolites

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is not necessarily the answer to your question but are the wires relatively new. Usually the problem lies with cracked wires. When they are old or cracked they will shine at night and you can even see them some during the day. You shouldn't be seeing the fire. Arching....This can definitely cause mis-firing during higher rpm's. Could be wrong with your application but general it's bad wires.

------------------
Presently installing 450hp (@5400 rpm)383 stroker motor for 1968 SS Camaro, TCI tranny w/3500 stall, 3.73 gears

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are newer msd 8.5 wires the red ones. I don't see anything through the wire just the porcelain on the plug.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry Cody, misunderstood you. From reading other forums about this the response was trying a step colder plug application and to make sure the spark plug gap was set correctly. Although I haven't heard of there being a problem with the glow from the porcelain.

------------------
Presently installing 450hp (@5400 rpm)383 stroker motor for 1968 SS Camaro, TCI tranny w/3500 stall, 3.73 gears

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Have you checked the plugs carefully? Maybe they were purchased by someone, used for a while, and returned for full credit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Cody, I have seen this happen with hairline cracks in the spark plug, which could happen when they are being installed. Are all of the plugs doing this?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ys thery are all doing it

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is there any problems that are coming along with this, or is it just the glow that you're wondering about? Most ceramics are semi-opaque, so I don't see why this couldn't be normal operation. My car is currently in the shop getting painted, but I'll run it in the dark when i get it back to see if mine do it too, anyone else want to try?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am running the same setup minus the box and my plugs will light up in the dark also this is completely normal... nothing to worry about

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 71 gm heads 74cc 1.72in 1.50ex,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 4.56 posi..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts