Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new hood for my 69, I really do not like the way it fits, It has a high spot near the cowl It looks to me like its not made right Brousing threw ebay ads i found a picture with the same fit, Other cars have the same problem. Any ideas how to fix it thanks...crash

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem. I thought mine was bent from shipping?? Interesting......

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Is your hood an NOS or repro?? I bought mine advertised as a nos gm. Sometimes I wonder if it really is and someone just put the sticker on.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
hmmmmmmmm....

you should have pre fitted the hood before it was painted...( sorry)

but before it gets painted try to lay the hood down on the driveway on blocks of wood and "massage" the center down.

them shim the cowl vent panet to fit the hood.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just fit my hood yesterday so its still in that black primer, I was considering just having it paited since its original GM figured it would fit perfect, But just for the hell of it i fit it. All the aftermarket hoods fit good except they do not have the exact contour of the fenders and look bowed, Thats why i spent a little more for the gm, When i push down on the high spot it looks good but comes right back up. I was thinking about breaking out my torch and heat the frame part underneath and push down on it so it stays, Shimming the cowl is fine but that seems to be about a half inch witch is not normal to me. Otherwise the rest of it fits perfect...crash

·
Registered
267 Posts
you sure its not the cowl w/strip holding it up?seems funny if you can push it down and it fits good but then springs back up.I bought a goodmark hood and set it on blocks in the four corners and it fit great with about 3 test fits and very little massaging.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had some good results with goodmark, I was just trying to go with GM cause the car has all original sheetmetal, I just do not like the flat hood...crash

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I bought my Cowl hood from GM, like 15 years ago, it showed @ that time it was the last Cowl hood on computer.
I walked into chevrolet's parts dep. last week and asked for a 69 cowl hood and the guy laughed at me and picked up a year one catalog from behind the counter. I said what are you doing? He anserwed ''This is were we can get it for you'', I said well i can just call national parts depot and save on shipping there closer to me, I told him there still making NOS hoods according to the catalogs, He said ''GM sold the machines that make them to the aftermarket companies and there discontinued from GM'' o well....Crash LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Crash, what makes you think it is a real GM hood?
I ordered it from national parts depot and there option was original for $950 or goodmark for $229. So i ordered the original, It came with a parts sticker GM#03949708. It does fit perfect even all four corners but that high spot is not right, I fixed it last night, I torched underneath that spot closed the hood used a towel and pused down it took 3 times now it fits perfect...Crash

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I also have had this problem over 25 years ago with GM cowl Hoods. I just recently installed a GM hood on a friends car, and it was the same as before and in the posted pictures. The fix to this problem 20 years ago and recently is to drill out the spot welds on the underside etc, and push down on the hood till it fits, then reweld the spots. This has allways worked real good. The GM hoods are much better quality than the repo,s IMO, reproductions hoods do appear bulged as CRASH69 stated!
FYI,- I just got off the phone from GM, they are indeed discontinued, but Woodstock Canada still has 4 left in stock. Anyone who wants 1 Better get it quick. The GM hood is also recognized by the little notch in the 2 outside corners.
Hope this helps. Mike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you say discontinued you mean you will not be able to even buy from supply houses like national parts depot rick's ect.?....crash

·
Registered
153 Posts
The GM hood is also recognized by the little notch in the 2 outside corners.

What do you mean by that? I noticed that on the two outside corners on the front of the hood of mine that the metal is tapered up from the botom lip to the tip of the corner, is that what you mean by notched? I do remember faintly that when I bought mine about fifteen years ago the guy told me that it was a GM hood and at the time I didn't really pay too much attention to it (cause I was just looking for something to clear the carburator and filter when I shut it) but I also remember that I wanted something more "gm" origanal. I couldn't even find anything under $500 that was original, but I did call ahead on an advertised price of $250 but the catch was that I met the dealer at the Pomona swap meet in Cali to pick it up for that price. When I showed up to pick it up and pay for it, he had three more there but was only selling them for $500, although he had some repros for $250. Man! I knew right then I lucked out on the price, but what was really cool was while I was walking out carying the hood, somebody came up and offered me $500 for it, I could have made $250 right then and there but there was no way I was going to part with that hood, I'm glad I didn't...........................007

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
CRASH69, What I mean by discontinued is - Discontinued from any GM dealer, I am sure all the parts houses will allways have the reproduction hoods- EG.=Goodmark, Dynacorn etc. Not sure about the GM hood, unless the parts dealers have a stock of GM hoods. I kinda doubt that GM would sell there stamp presses, but who knows. GM actually stopped making ZL2 cowl hoods for a while back in the late 70,s to early 80,s, but the demand must have been huge as they retooled and made them again. By the way when I first bought a GM cowl Hood back in the mid 70,s they were like around $100 wholesale price in Canada, guess I should have bought a truck load considering the current GM price of $900+.

James, The notch I am refering to is on the back on the outside vertical lip, do a search under GM cowl Hoods, This had been discussed before.
I tried to post a link, but couldn,t get it to work. Do a search under user post by- SixtyAte, he posted pictures of repo and original GM.
Hope this Helps. Mike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts