Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at just buying a GM crate motor, seeing with the price of scrap being so high there doesn't seem to be any worthwhile small blocks available in my area. Looking for experiences that anybody had with there crate motors . Looking at the GM Street Performer # 19367080.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might you share why it needs to be GM? There are different brands with higher quality for less money
That's another reason why I posted, to find out what different options are out there. The reason I mentioned the GM crate is because that one is basically what I'm looking for. And the warranty behind the product. Any other suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
That's another reason why I posted, to find out what different options are out there. The reason I mentioned the GM crate is because that one is basically what I'm looking for. And the warranty behind the product. Any other suggestions are welcome.
I bought this one direct from Blueprint engines. They dyno every motor. Mine is 411hp/413tq.

BluePrint Engines BP35513CT1 BluePrint Engines GM 355 C.I.D. 390 HP Dressed Long Block Crate Engines | Summit Racing

I ordered direct from Blueprint. Shipping is included. I got mine in 4 days after ordering, YMMV.

IMHO it is better than the GM motor you noted. This is not a rebuilt motor, it is a new cast USA made block. 30month/50k mi warranty

Mine fired 1st attempt to start. Have around 5k mi on it now. Have had it just over a year

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Unless you are looking for something Blueprint motors doesn't offer I would choose them over GM. Price and Warranty are 2 reasons.

I have a GM Crate motor but it's not been installed yet, not running - I bought it because Blueprint didn't offer anything similar.

·
Registered
67 Camaro L78 M20 Convertible
233 Posts
then might i suggest Blueprint SBC 396 or 400.
Both around 500 lbFt/Hp.
Best warranty/bang per dollar ratio for SBC i can find.
Both fully forged rot. assembly, hyd. roller, enough vacuum for power brakes (396 = 12", 400 = 10")

396 has a 6° smaller cam, 1/8 less bore, 1/8 more stroke.
Resulting in about 10% more torque/horsepower all the time till about 5k rpm.
Better street engine in my opinion. Will feel bigger and move faster all the time.
Its puts a bit more emphasis on torque.

400 ist more the horsepower variant. Only puts out 20 or so more hp, but for only a couple hundred rpm.
Only if you drag race frequently, its the better choice in my opinion.

Study the dyno charts!

Intake/carb/ignition cost +700$ (396) or +500$ (400) depending on engine.
Well worth it too since it gets dynoed with those exact components.
No need for carb tuning and engine problems that come from a bad tune.

This is some serious stock LS6/L72/L78 performance for not much money and way less weight.

Install, take good care of oil, cooling and fuel system, detune maybe 2° ignition out of it like 32 instead of 34 and drive it forever.

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Automotive tire Wheel

·
16,033 Posts
I have used the 400 SBC Blueprint Engine. Dyno Sheet was 514 HP.

I have no experience with the 396

I do like the torque of the 396 and it's $400 cheaper.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
921 Posts
GM Street Performer # 19367080 is a 350/357 HP motor.
I am sure BPE also have a basic 350 block with vortec heads delivering 375 HP which should be a match. Long block less that 3000 $. Didn't look on the site but I remember from 6 month ago when I was condidering a new engine.
I went with a 383 long block aluinum heads from BPE.

Marc

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I looked at Smeding’s site. When I see components listed but no manufacturers listed I am always thinking China parts, which I avoid where possible.
Call them. You might be surprised.

Just like BPE, smeding doesn't have a foundry and don't cast their own blocks or cranks. However, just like BPE they do the final machining.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought 19417624 and couldn’t be happier. I read that blueprint has some used or reconditioned parts. That’s why I bought a GM crate motor. At Radley Chevrolet. They are in Virginia and I’m in Arizona. They shipped to me and it was a great experience. Wayne Barentine was the guy I worked with there.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Call them. You might be surprised.

Just like BPE, smeding doesn't have a foundry and don't cast their own blocks or cranks. However, just like BPE they do the final machining.
BPE gets their blocks from a foundry in Ohio and yes they do final (deck, front & rear) of block machineing. I have read they will be building their own foundry in Nebraska.

I read that blueprint has some used or reconditioned parts.
FWIW I asked BPE when I ordered my 357 from them if any parts were "refurbished"...they said all were new. This was 9/20. IDK if that is for all their motors or if they previously "rebuilt" motors or used "used" blocks. Their shop tour video starts by saying all their SBC blocks are new from a foundry in Ohio

·
16,033 Posts
BPE used to build some engines with seasoned blocks. They do not anymore. Good used block are hard to come by in the quantities they would need.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I purchased a 383 short block from Smeding Performance. The only reason I didn't go with BPE was because they cast their name in the block. Likewise, I didn't use Smeding heads because of the name machined in the front of the heads. Instead I purchased Trickflow DHC 175 aluminums that are cast to look like old double humps. Blue print makes good products, no one can argue that they don't.

Smeding has been in business for a long time. They just don't have the word of mouth that BPE has.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased and installed a new GM ZZ6 EFI 350 crate engine from Ohio Speed Shop along with a Tremec 5 speed. I highly recommend reaching out to them, the operator / owner Chuck is super to work with and if you don't see what you're looking for on his website, send him a request and he'll work with you.
Ohio Speed Shops

1 - 20 of 20 Posts