Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my customers was told by a cam manufacturer to use the GM EOS at every oil change to prevent lobe wear on his performance flat tappet cam. My customer then called me to ask why the GM bottle says not to add to the oil? The label says EOS is for assembly only not an oil additive. Any info?

·
Super Moderator
33,291 Posts
GM removed the directions to protect themselves from liability. Older cans did state to add for reducing oil consumption, new engine start-up, and cam break-in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You want to use an oil that retains high levels of ZDDP for camshaft protection such as Shell Rotella T or Quaker State Q synthetic Racing oil. I found out the hard way, Now I swear by Shell Rotella T.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd 4.10 posi x66 coupe

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a believer in the Shell ZDDP content in Rotella T, but didn't EPA dictate a change in the composition starting 2007. Is there a new version out and does it have the same properties for cam life.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Matt,
The additives in eos will affect catalytic converter life if used all the time in a newer vehicle.

This is if not part or all reason Zinc or ZDDP was removed from todays oil. Only protection we have now is using a dieseal type motor oil , CJ, CI , CM etc. api rated oil. I think the newer version is CI. Dont hold me to it though. We used to add it to every oil change , back in 60's & 70's. As mentioned, Rotell T and Delo are still good.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
No cat(s) here b/c it will like said by Bill kill them over time and really piss the SMOG Police off!!!!

If I was anal about oil, I would run the best synthetic I could buy, add a half of a half pint of pure "neet" Soy Diesel and a small bottle of good old EOS to her and drive her as my commuter car for way past 12,000 miles between oil changes!!

Probably to 25,000 miles!!

I'm not anal, so commuting, I've found good old Walmart's Tech2000 oil and if their filter is still a good one, it, and drive her ON THE HIGHWAY daily commuting past 12,000 miles.

And every second to third oil change, add a small bottle of good old MMO, half to the oil on top of a fresh change and the rest in my gas tank on top of a fill-up!!!

Pick up a bottle of MMO and spend a couple of minutes reading the back of it b/c it, TO ME, does just what it's made to do!!

Great old "top-oil" that it is!!

pdq67

1 - 16 of 16 Posts